FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving Avid project with all media from other project to a new Hard Drive?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Aucker
Moving Avid project with all media from other project to a new Hard Drive?
on Nov 2, 2017 at 2:57:21 pm

Hello!!!

I am in a situation where I need to transfer a project to a drive to send to the client. However, all the media in this project is from another project so it appears in the (Other Bins). And the original project has media that doesn't need to be sent. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to do this other than consolidating the sequence because it would be awesome if I could send it with no handle restraints.

I have tried to copy the media into bins inside the project but MDV doesn't recognize the media being associated with more than one project.

No emergency really just trying to see if anyone has a great workflow for something like this.

I have also tried going to the media tool and selecting all relatives to the sequence. It did not work in a way that associates the media to the new project and I also have Color Correction and subtitles.

Thank you!!!
PS: First Post!!!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Moving Avid project with all media from other project to a new Hard Drive?
on Nov 3, 2017 at 1:17:45 pm

There is an app called MediaMover for Avid.
its been years since Ive used it so not sure if it still exists.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 3, 2017 at 1:55:37 pm

Make a long timeline with all the raw media. Consolidate it to a new drive. (no handle restrictions)

Unplug your original drive, and relink your project to the new drive. Send to client.

This is a great reason to keep you Avid MediaFiles folders organized, although borrowing from other projects does become an issue at some point, if you don't want to double up the storage, which i would consider anyway, just to make the archiving of the project easier. If you come back to this project in the future, at this stage, you are forced to restore two projects.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Josh Aucker
on Nov 3, 2017 at 3:02:39 pm

Thanks Glen! That is a work around for sure!

If you have a moment do you have a suggestion on how to organize AVF MXF folders? I just let avid do the work usually and make notes on what drives I have media on for what projects. We do a lot of borrowing from other projects due to our client return.

Also, I don't think I follow what you mean by doubling up on storage.

Because I thought when you borrowed from a project it just copies the pointer files. Which I think is why MDV (Media Mover) doesn't recognize any of the footage even being associated with this new project. Unless you're talking about something else entirely or I am just wrong hahaha.

And yes in this scenario I would have to relink both projects. Luckily the one project is based entirely to another project so naturally one comes with the other but I have seen this issue arise in previous projects.

Thank You

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 3, 2017 at 3:34:24 pm

I wish there was a way to do this at ingest.
Im always renaming the "1" folder for managing massive projects.
I do believe there is still a limitation in number of files in Avid MediFiles folder, something like 5k I think.

Return to posts index

Josh Aucker
on Nov 3, 2017 at 4:52:52 pm

Yes I agree!

Thank you Eric for your help!

I think you can name the project "1 project name."

I remember seeing this done somewhere. As long as the number is in front it should remain online but Avid will not place new clips in there.

Return to posts index

Josh Aucker
on Nov 3, 2017 at 6:17:28 pm

Sorry I meant rename the Folders inside the MXF folder with "Number and project name."

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 4, 2017 at 3:40:31 pm

By "doubling up media" I was basically saying if you were to bring in your media from the "other" bin, and consolidate it, you would then have a second version of the media, this time belonging to the current project.

It doubles the amount of media, but also allows you to stop keeping the other project online, which can be handy, especially if you don't need all the media from the other project

Having a number in front of your name doesn't actually do anything. Any folder name can be online. The rule is if the name contains only numbers, then Avid has Read/write capability with that folder. If the folder has any letter in it, then Avid has read only capability with the folder. There is nothing that says your name needs any number at all. The difference between Avid having read/write and read only is affected by Avids abilty to update the database within that folder. For the most part, Avid is only going to write new media to a single folder, and for most that is the "1" folder. Yes if your "1" folder gets too full, Avid will automatically create a "2" folder, and start using it.

If you make a folders called 2, 3 ,4 and 5, Avid will still write to the "1" folder, but you could capture clips into avid (going to the 1 folder), sort that folder by date created, and move all those new clips into your "2" folder. Avid will then rebuild the database on both the "1" and "2" folders to properly index the media in those folders. You can then change the "2" folder to be something like "Josh Corporate Montage" and Avid will continue to see the media in that folder.

If you then want to capture more material into the Josh Corporate Monage project, you can either rename the existing "1" folder to something else and the "JCM" folder to "1" and capture. Once the capture process is done, rename "1" back to "JCM", and (if you wish) the other folder back to "1".

The key for me is basically, a "1" folder is simply used as my daily working folder, for what ever project I'm on that day. If tomorrow I'm working on the same project, I do nothing...if tomorrow I'm working on a different project I rename "1" to reflect what the project is, and let Avid create a new "1" folder for my footage for the new project. Rinse and repeat.

On larger projects, I will have a "project A media " folder. This would contain all the main media needed to work on the project, It might be kicking around for weeks or months on end. Once built and working, I might not ever rename it again, but would then start calling my daily "1" folder "Project A working" This would contain mostly renders that are not totally necessary to rebuild the project, or to be archived with the project. As well, if I forget to rename a folder 1 morning in this scenario, its not the end of the world...not that it ever is...it isn't that hard to go through a folder and figure out what project the media belongs to and redistribute it to the correct folders, forcing those folders to rebuild their databases afterwards.

When its time to Archive, I can then just archive the "Project A Media" folder, and not worry about the "working" folder. (renders can always be recreated.) I do usually take a scan through the "working" folder, just to make sure there isn't any actual media in there.

I would recommend everyone look through your media folders and see what is in there. As I said, it isn't that hard to look at a file and say, that's a render...that audio, that's a tape capture, that's a graphic I imported.

If 3 weeks in, I capture new graphics, or music for "Project A" then it is up to me to make sure those files get into the Project A Media folder, and get properly indexed, by renaming the folder to something with numbers only, waiting for the index to rebuild, and then renaming back to "Project A Media"

I should add that because of the read/write rules, I've used "1" for much of the examples, but any number will do to trigger a folder to rebuild the database. In many cases I actually leave "1" alone and would rename the folder needing an update to something like "55555" so it is easy to spot.

It takes a while to get into this habit, but in the end, your Avid will be much more organized. And when you want to isolate media for cleanup, archive or duplication, it will be all ready to go.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Josh Aucker
on Nov 15, 2017 at 9:11:01 pm

Awesome stuff Here!!!

I have been pondering on this for quite some time now... And Forgive me but I still can't find a huge PRO to organizing my media by project at the Finder level.

However I do find this useful when archiving onto a separate drive when you're done with the project.

But I believe MDV (Media Mover) can move, copy and all that by project. There is no need to mess with it at the Finder Level in my eyes. Unless I am missing a huge PRO to this because to me it just seems like a lot of extra work just to look at stuff through the finder beside getting MDV and looking at it through there.

Is there a pro and cons list to these philosophies of workflow?

I appreciate this discussion! Because I came from Premiere where it is very important to organize per project usually but Avid is different and keeps track of where your media is cause it never moves really. It can move from drive to drive but Avid will find it when the rules are followed. It is nice to look at project names and feel assured thats where it is but is there really a need?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2017 at 7:10:13 am

[Josh Aucker] "Is there a pro and cons list to these philosophies of workflow?"

I am currently onlining a TV series that has 6 episodes. I keep all the media for each episode in separate numbered folders in the MXF folder. 1 is the default location for renders and import, and once I import or render, I then move to the episode folders.

Episode 101 goes into a folder called "101." Episode 2 has a LOT more media, so it has two folders, so 1021 and 1022 are those folders. Then 103, 104, 105 and 106. When I do this I can then just drag the folder with the media from that episode onto a drive or whatever. Very easy to locate and move.

The rules are followed because the media is still in the Avid MediaFiles > MXF > numbered folder structure

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Josh Aucker
on Nov 16, 2017 at 4:04:43 pm

Hey Shane,

I see the upside in this workflow for this type of work.

Just curious,
Do you edit all of the episodes with in the same AVID project? If so I totally see the upside to this method in keeping the episodic media separate.

But if you created a new project per episode, you could use MDV to transfer files to other drives pretty quick as well.

Just wanted to get your input on why you like this workflow more than creating a new project per episode.

I am in the position where I am constantly reusing footage from other videos because we have consistent work from several clients for commercials. And I am debating whether to take a day to go through our 40+ drives and organize the media by project or just keep doing what I am doing.

I usually have no problem trying to find media cause avid tells you the last drive it was linked to. And when I archive I use a hard drive sheet that has a list of all the stuff on it so if I drive fails I can find the duplicate.

Curious on anyone's input to help improve workflow.

Thanks all for helping each other out and having such great advice!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2017 at 5:15:29 pm

[Josh Aucker] "Do you edit all of the episodes with in the same AVID project? "

With this particular project, I didn't edit it...but yes, there is one project per episode. I'm only the online guy. On other shows I do edit, we have one project per episode.

[Josh Aucker] "But if you created a new project per episode, you could use MDV to transfer files to other drives pretty quick as well. "

good to know!

[Josh Aucker] "Just wanted to get your input on why you like this workflow more than creating a new project per episode."

I do both. One project per episode, and...when I edit solo projects...organize the media this way on the Finder level. In a shared editing environment, we can't really do that.

[Josh Aucker] "I am in the position where I am constantly reusing footage from other videos because we have consistent work from several clients for commercials. And I am debating whether to take a day to go through our 40+ drives and organize the media by project or just keep doing what I am doing. "

If you use the same footage on multiple episodes, which I often do as well...then you can't do the finder level organization. You can, for media specific to that show, but there will be too much shared media to really do this.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Josh Aucker
on Nov 16, 2017 at 5:54:18 pm

Awesome! Thank you for your response!

I will keep this in mind for the future and archiving stuff!

How do you handle the shows intro? do you import the intro every episode or do you have a separate project for that and "open bin"?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2017 at 7:33:06 pm

We will have a bin with the show intro, and the tease and COMING UP templates.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]