FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to sync sound on single camera shoot

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Dundas
Best way to sync sound on single camera shoot
on Oct 24, 2017 at 4:54:57 pm

I am an AE working mostly in reality TV. I am still new to Avid but I have gotten pretty good at multi-grouping the footage from our multi camera shoots. We recently shot something with a single camera and audio recorded externally. I am trying to find out the best way of syncing and then somehow linking this audio to my footage.

I can not simply auto sync using source timecode because there is drift. So I made a sync map sequence, where I got all the footage and audio in sync. Then I deleted all the audio tracks that contain the camera audio which won't be used, leaving my six tracks of external audio.

This sequence can be dragged into the source monitor, then you can cut things into a sequence with the audio in sync. The only problem is, the editor needs to be able to match frame into clips in the story cut then quickly pull things from the source monitor to cut in. But when you match frame, it matches you into the footage clip without the external audio being linked in any way.

I have explored using auto sync with in points to create subclips that combine the footage and audio into one clip. The only problem is, this seems to only work when you have a single audio clip to sync with a single video clip. In my situation, the camera starts and stops while the audio continues to roll, or vice versa. Is there a way to sync multiple video clips to a single audio clip?

The best solution I have found is to multigroup just like I would with a multi-camera shoot. But there are a lot of steps in that process, so I feel like multigrouping with only one camera is a waste of time. Can anybody explain how they do it? Do I just have to use auto sync and create a ton of separate subclips each time the camera cuts? Is there no way to get this whole scene as one synced subclip with the camera cuts?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Best way to sync sound on single camera shoot
on Oct 24, 2017 at 6:35:31 pm

In your sync map timeline loaded in the record side, mark IN-OUT for each continuous video segment. In -Out should not have any edits in it, just a single event. Option-drag to bin where it will make a sequence the duration of the in-out.

Do this for every event. Highlight all sequences from this process and select AutoSync. This turns into a subclip which has the same behavior as an AutoSync clip to start with. Rename clips as needed. You can further group these or use as is. Sync break indicator will also work.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]