FORUMS: list search recent posts

NEW AVID MEDIA COMPOSER for new project?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Spears
NEW AVID MEDIA COMPOSER for new project?
on Oct 13, 2017 at 3:20:05 am

First of all, thanks to all who have assisted me for years in putting together a very long form documentary with AVID Media Composer #4. I was told many years ago that MC 4.0 was perhaps the most stable version of MC that one could use. And use it I have -- for five years.

But now we are starting a new project -- another long form documentary -- and I want to have the best software available to deal with the newest formats and camera. What would the experts recommend? I have been editing in Avid for more than twenty years and I love it. What MC version, what computer, what hard drives need I acquire?

Thanks so much.

Ross Spears

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: NEW AVID MEDIA COMPOSER for new project?
on Oct 13, 2017 at 10:10:15 pm

Are you more comfortable with a Mac or a PC? VERY long form? How much footage? Shot with what camera? Willing to do offline/online workflow, or want to work full resolution?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ross Spears
on Oct 15, 2017 at 4:05:55 pm

Thanks Shane! Here are my answers:

I almost always work with Macs, including my AVID work. For me LONG FORM means feature length or short series -- i.e. from 2 to 4 hours in all. I will be shooting and also gathering footage from several sources -- probably will have 100-200 hours to work with in all by the end.

As for cameras, I just purchased a SONY pro CamCorder for $2000 that is capable of shooting 4K. It records onto San Disk cards -- the largest and best possible kinds. I like the Sony camcorder because its so small that I can still carry it around, it shoots in low light, and has a lot of focal length too. So far I have loved the footage, but I can't digitize it until I get the right editing setup. I am hoping that you can tell what to do??!!

I still have my Sony EX1, which I used to shoot a lot of the previous films -- a 3-film series called The Truth About Trees. You can see some of the footage on the website and YOuTube channel called TruthAboutTrees TV (or just TREE TV).

Thanks for your help1

Ross

Director, AGEE FILMS

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 15, 2017 at 6:06:20 pm

[Ross Spears] "As for cameras, I just purchased a SONY pro CamCorder for $2000 that is capable of shooting 4K. It records onto San Disk cards "

What model? What format does it shoot? Specifics are needed for proper advice.

[Ross Spears] "probably will have 100-200 hours to work with in all by the end. "

And 4K? And you want to cut full/high resolution? 200 hours of UHD 2398 DNxHR SQ is about 42TB of footage. So I suggest getting a 64TB drive, something that G-TECH does offer. (you will need space to render, as well as 15-20% empty for optimal performance).

Computer...top of the line iMac will work for this, and is fine for 4K and not too expensive. Or you can get the MacPro Trashcan...more expensive as it has better processors, but it all depends on your budget. And Go with Avid MC 8.8.x. 8.9 is pretty new but 8.8.x seems solid.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ross Spears
on Oct 16, 2017 at 12:00:40 am

Shane, as for the camera, i just bought the Sony Pxw-X70 Professional Xdcam Compact Camcorder. Does that help with more info? As for the format, what do you suggest?

Thanks for all this info. It helps a lot!!

ROSS

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2017 at 5:20:38 pm

That camera shoots an XAVC format that might be tricky to bring in. XAVC-S I know is tricky on earlier versions, and you needed to buy a third party plugin for it as Sony no longer give a hoot about doing it. BUT...with Avid 8.9 it now has a built in AMA plugin for it...

SO transcode all your footage to DNxHR SQ, get an iMac or MacPro (whatever you can afford) and a 64TB RAID from OWC or G-TECH.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ross Spears
on Oct 17, 2017 at 3:42:10 am

Shane! Thanks for the insights, information, and suggestions! I am very much obliged to you for keeping me in the "filmmaking" ballgame. It's all I can do to keep up with my content/subject matter on these films. Without your help I would be truly at sea in managing the technical sides too!

Many thanks, Ross

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

Ross Spears
on Oct 18, 2017 at 2:19:21 am

Shane, Here is the computer I propose to purchase:

Apple 27" iMac with Retina 5K Display (Mid 2017), CPU: 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core, RAM | Storage: 8GB RAM | 3TB Fusion Drive, GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 580 (8GB)

Is this what you are suggesting?

Thanks, Ross

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

Ross Spears
on Oct 15, 2017 at 4:07:34 pm

P.S. I would like to work with full resolution if I can!

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]