FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing clip but keeping edit points and effects

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Crupi
Replacing clip but keeping edit points and effects
on Oct 12, 2017 at 9:47:28 pm

Hello all,

I'm working on a project where all the supers came from an After Effects editor. He exported one sequence that contained all of the supers with animation that I imported, recut the timings to line up with my video edits and added effects. For this example, lets call his export English.mov and my timeline English Sequence.

He has now exported a series of other languages that I need to apply the exact same series of IN and OUT points, along with effects, for each language sequence.

I can do it once if I duplicate my English Sequence, rename it Spanish Sequence and batch import English.mov as Spanish.mov but of course that means I lose my original English sequence. I need to be able to keep separate sequences for each language.

In Premiere, I could select all of my English.mov edits on my sequence, and ALT+drag Spanish.mov over those and it would keep all my edit points and effects and apply those to the new clip. Is there any method in Media Composer that has the same effect, or am I stuck recutting each language manually over my sequences?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Replacing clip but keeping edit points and effects
on Oct 14, 2017 at 4:27:31 pm

I don't think you can do it quite as easy as replacing the clip with the alt drag.

Is your .mov file cut into your timeline as 1 long chunk, and then razored up, or are you removing portions of the .mov file as you razor it up?

If the file is the same length In your timeline, as your source version, then you could at least get avid to automatically razor up the new version of the .mov (Spanish) to reflect the edits you have performed to the English version of the .mov. (I only know how to do this when I'm sitting in front of the box unfortunately.) Then it would be a matter of transferring the effects from the English version to the Spanish version...would save a bit of time.

You could also try locking the sync of the first frame of your source clip (Spanish) to the first frame of you timeline English clip. Then advancing to each edit point with the fast forward button and hitting replace edit...but again, I'm not sure if the effects will stay in place.

If they don't, can you apply your effects to a separate video track, razored to match the underlying clip? That way they will not be over written each time you change the underlying clip.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Jason Crupi
on Oct 16, 2017 at 1:20:04 am

I am removing parts of each language.mov file as I razor it up, but for each language it's the exact same parts, resulting in the exact same timing for each cut and the exact same overall length. Would your method work in this situation? I'd love to know the method to get Avid to automatically do this.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Oct 15, 2017 at 6:24:51 am
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Oct 15, 2017 at 6:31:29 am

There has to be a better way to do this but here's a suggestion that will at least save you some time recutting each version. Just make sure that each of the different language clips are the exact same length, down to the frame.

Make a new Bin in the original Project.
ALT+Drag the Original Sequence and the Clip you want to replace to this new Bin.
Create a new Project with the same settings as the first Project.
Move that Bin to the new Projects Folder.
Open the new project then rename the Sequence and Clip to reflect the new Language.
Batch import the Spanish.mov over top the Renamed Clip.

This will do what you want and as far as I know (without actually trying it myself) and not affect the original sequence in the original project. You should also be able to move that Bin back to your original Projects folder so you can keep everything in the one Project. Next, you should be able to just Rinse and Repeat with the two Projects for any further languages that are required.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Jason Crupi
on Oct 16, 2017 at 1:24:36 am

Thanks. I hadn't thought of using multiple projects to solve this but that seems like it might work. I'm also considering consolidating a duplicate sequence, then batch re-importing the first language as the second language, duplicate and consolidate that one and so on.
We'll see which method is least messy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]