FORUMS: list search recent posts

If there are empty numbered folders in Avid MediaFiles directory, does Avid automatically fill the next sequential folder on the 5001st file?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
If there are empty numbered folders in Avid MediaFiles directory, does Avid automatically fill the next sequential folder on the 5001st file?
on Oct 10, 2017 at 8:16:53 am

This a very obscure question I know and I don't want to get in to why I want to know, I just hope someone might know and could tell me.

As far as I know, (haven't been able to confirm), the 5000 file limit is still a thing with Avid these days when it creates media. Therefore when creating media it places it in to the Avid file structure of numbered subdirectories of the MXF directory. The assumption then is that if you've created a brand new project and begin ingesting media it will create a '1' folder for you and continue to fill that folder until it has made 5000 files whereupon if there is more media to ingest, it will create a '2' folder for you and begin filling it with subsequently created media and so on '3' and '4' etc.

What I'd like to know is, if you created the folders yourself, manually, before the project start and made say, 6 of them 1,2,3,4,5,6 - would Avid create 5000 files in the '1' directory and then add subsequently created media to the already created '2' directory? I assume it does, but I wondered whether or not the folder already existing would somehow throw Avid in this one obscure and specific situation. I know creating the 1 folder ahead of time presents no issue for populating it, it's just the automatic spillover thing I wonder about.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: If there are empty numbered folders in Avid MediaFiles directory, does Avid automatically fill the next sequential folder on the 5001st file?
on Oct 10, 2017 at 7:04:33 pm

The number isn't exactly 5000, but it hovers there. And yes, if you already have a "2" folder, it will start filling that. Which is why when I make numbered folders to keep media organized, I start at "10" or "20" or even higher.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
Re: If there are empty numbered folders in Avid MediaFiles directory, does Avid automatically fill the next sequential folder on the 5001st file?
on Oct 11, 2017 at 2:49:45 am

Thanks mate, good to know. Incidentally, when you talk about keeping your mxf folders organised by starting at 10, is that something you do in order to sort them alphabetically, so that you don't have 1,10,2,3,4,5 etc? Otherwise what does the 10,20,30 naming system do to help keep it organised?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]