FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA relinking GOPRO and DRONE clips problem

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Roff
AMA relinking GOPRO and DRONE clips problem
on Aug 22, 2017 at 2:09:21 pm

I have a project with GOPRO (h264), DRONE (h264) and RED files. I brought them all in via AMA, transcoded to DNxHD36, and edited the project. Then I went to online, opened all the bins with the original media, selected all the clips, right-clicked on the sequence and choose Relink. All the RED files come back online but not any of the GOPRO or DRONE. What am I missing here?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AMA relinking GOPRO and DRONE clips problem
on Aug 22, 2017 at 4:47:13 pm

Unique timecode...source file names (reel, in essence). Did you assign a SOURCE to the AMA footage when you brought it in? Red has far more metadata than GoPro and Drone footage, thus why it links up easier. But H.264 sources are severely lacking. This is one reason the place I work uses Content Agent to convert the footage to high res DNxHD and then use those files as masters to create the offline codec footage we work with....it matches back easier.

The other option I mentioned...when you AMA link to the footage, highlight the clips and assign a SOURCE NAME...typically the name of the archive folder they reside, so that you give another bit of metadata to link to. And typically you should have different backup folders for every offload, because often clip names and timecodes will reset, so having different folders and source names in that case goes a long way in finding the right clip.

At this point you might be stuck over cutting

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 23, 2017 at 11:33:39 am

The biggest issue with some cameras is unique file naming as they will start over with the same file name when the camera shuts down. It is only in these cases that I would suggest renaming files BEFORE any post process begins with a unique prefix or suffix. Usually, shoot date at a minimum and an incremental file count like _001, 002, etc.

Import and Link use that file name to link and is in the Source File. All the timecodes can start at 00:00:00:00 and still link as long as the source file name used to relink is unique. Most any column can be used to relink not just Tape, and Source File. So that becomes a way to create unique sources after the fact should you need to do so. Labroll and Camroll are common ones.

Sort your bins by Source File and see what's there, what's unique or not and start from there. If you want, I can take a look at your bin (no media needed). Make sure all the clips that won't link are in the same bin with the sequence when sending. Zip the bin and send to michael[at]24p[dot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

Joel Roff
on Aug 23, 2017 at 5:09:56 pm

Thanks Michael,

All of the Source File needs seem unique. I sent the bin to you. Thanks for taking a look.

Return to posts index

Joel Roff
on Aug 23, 2017 at 5:18:01 pm

Thanks Shane,

I actually am just cutting a short demo reel for the documentary to fulfill some development requirements so it would not be onerous to re-create the AMA master clips for the drone and Gopro before I start on the full feature doc OR transcode it to a hi-res format then transcode again to DNxHD36 for editing, and simply relink to the hi-res files for the online.

The clips all start with 00:00:00:00 timecode, and all have a unique name in the SOURCE FILE column. Please explain how you would "when you AMA link to the footage, highlight the clips and assign a SOURCE NAME...", not sure what you mean there and would like to give it a try.

Thanks,
Joel

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 24, 2017 at 12:06:27 pm

Just to keep the story advancing here, the problem with the relink was that all the GoPro clips were frames other than the project type of 23.976. One thing to try is setting those clips in Source Settings to Project Rate in the Playback tab and try again.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]