FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gopro 4 Black Import/Export Settings for best quality

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Messias Goulart
Gopro 4 Black Import/Export Settings for best quality
on Aug 14, 2017 at 9:50:30 pm

I have a Gopro 4 Black and i have recorded on 1080p 60 fps all my videos.

First of all, when i put the project format on 1080i 59,97 fps i saw that i loose a lot of quality on exporting.

1° So, what the best format and color space for my project?? Need to put matchback??

2° In import settings, i put the follow settings:
-Image size adjustment : image sized for current format
-File pixel to video mappig : 601 sd or 709 hd (16-235)
-Alpha chanel - Invert on import
-Frame import duration : 30 seconds
- OMF : Use source file resolution
The question is, when i ama link the original files, i transcode it with what format ?? or i need to direct import??

3°After that, to export it, i use same as source and quicktime movie with 601/709 color levels and native dimensions or i put custom with a configuration that you prefer ??

I need the original file quality, i want the best quality i can, i ve tried all options and always the export is being damaged, bad quality video.

Please help me

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Gopro 4 Black Import/Export Settings for best quality
on Aug 14, 2017 at 10:52:25 pm

[Messias Goulart] "First of all, when i put the project format on 1080i 59,97 fps i saw that i loose a lot of quality on exporting."

You are using the wrong project setting. The camera shoots 1080p 60fps. When you see "p" that means the next number is FRAMES per second. 1080i60 is 30fps (29.97). The "i" means interlaced and that means FIELDS per second. So your video is not only losing half the frames per second, it's now interlaced. And that's not good.

[Messias Goulart] "1° So, what the best format and color space for my project?? Need to put matchback??"

1080p 59.94

[Messias Goulart] "The question is, when i ama link the original files, i transcode it with what format ?? or i need to direct import??"

Link and then transcode to DNxHD. Not sure what the number after it will be...I know 145 for 23.98fps and 175 for 29.97fps are the same...the only reason the other number is 175 is because there are more frames per second...so the data rate is higher. OK, made a project and looked at the numbers, DNxHD 200 or 290 should suffice.

[Messias Goulart] "3°After that, to export it, i use same as source and quicktime movie with 601/709 color levels and native dimensions or i put custom with a configuration that you prefer ?? "

Export same as source (601/709), and then compress that file to meet whatever needs you have, YouTUbe, DVD...whathaveyou.

[Messias Goulart] "I need the original file quality, i want the best quality i can, i ve tried all options and always the export is being damaged, bad quality video."

You won't get ORIGINAL quality... any conversion will result in SOME quality loss. And native editing of H.264 isn't recommended. Converting to DNxHD will be visually lossless...you won't see any difference in quality if you stick with 200 or 290. And then you'll export a master file at DNxHD 290 (if you go with 290)...and encode that to h.264 for the web. But know that the smaller the file size, the more compression is done. So you need to use a good quality encoder for H.264, Avid isn't it. Media Encoder, Sorenson, Compressor...those will do good.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Messias Goulart
on Aug 15, 2017 at 2:20:30 am

But have an option that is 1:1 mxf, that maintain all video quality, than i export with h.264 codec, better no ?? or avid 1:1 codec

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 15, 2017 at 5:58:57 pm

You need to transcode that footage to work with it in Avid. 1:1 is good, REALLY good, but it'll take a VERY fast RAID ARRAY to play back. Very high data rate. But DNxHD is a compressed format that is visually lossless. Used on network TV all the time, many many workflows. So transcode to DnxHD. And then when done, do a SAME AS SOURCE export...this will not re-encode the video, but export it in the same codec. If you export 1:1...you are re-encoding. Less compression the better. So Same as Source, and then convert to H.264.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]