FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing P-2 media into Media Composer 8.4.5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Cooke
Importing P-2 media into Media Composer 8.4.5
on Jul 22, 2017 at 3:54:10 pm

I shot a project about 10 years ago using P2 cards. I transferred the cards to my hard drive, which I have. I've decided to pick-up the project again and plan to edit using Media Composer v8.4.5.

How do I import the P2 media into my project? There no longer is an "Import P2" option. I've tried various things, but nothing seems to work. I did convert the original media to QTs, but worry about degradation by converting a second time, back into MXF files.

Please advise. Thanks.

Bruce Cooke

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Importing P-2 media into Media Composer 8.4.5
on Jul 22, 2017 at 4:07:34 pm

There should be a way for Avid to recognize that footage but it's been so long since I've worked with P2 Footage that I'm not sure. Give this a try though.

If Resolve recognizes the footage just use it to transcode it to Avid Op-Atom and you will only have to do a single Transcode. Just make sure you go into the Master Project/Conform Settings and set it up so that your Reel Column is populated properly. Especially if you are going to Round Trip back to Resolve for Colouring once your edit is finished.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Bruce Cooke
on Jul 23, 2017 at 7:09:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm not using Resolve. Did try to transcode clips as an alternative. It appears that P2 card store the audio and video separately. The test file I transcoded and then linked into Media Composer project, looked good, but not play in the source window.

Bruce Cooke

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 22, 2017 at 9:23:22 pm

Use the SOURCE BROWSER...navigate to the folder that contains the P2 card contents...so the base folder that has CONTENTS and LASTCLIP.txt file...choose that, and then click LINK

I just tested this...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bruce Cooke
on Jul 23, 2017 at 7:18:09 pm

Thanks for reply. Source Browser isn't available until 8.6, I'm using 8.5.4. I will upgrade if it works. It worked for you?

I did trying linking to the folder as you described using "Link media." I selected the folder as you described. I labeled each P2 card by number. I selected the "002" folder, which contains the content folder and text file. A BIN Selection dialogue box opened and I placed the linked file in a bin. The icon for a "linked" file appeared normal. However, when I tried to view the footage, all that I see is a low res freeze frame of the media.

I'm not sure why "Link" would act differently whether accessed via the Link menu (8.4.5) or Source Browser (8.6). I would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Bruce Cooke

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 23, 2017 at 9:27:42 pm

AH...yes. AMA link became LINK MEDIA became SOURCE BROWSER.

OK, when you try to LINK MEDIA, you need to manually select the P2 AMA plugin, it can't be on AUTOSELECT. And make sure you have that installed...shoot, if you NEED that installed. At some point it was just installd, integrated. So many versions, so fast. But yes, try to manually select the P2 plugin.

I too get the BITMAP low res pics (thumbnails) of the footage when I use the source browser, but I also get the footage as well.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bruce Cooke
on Jul 26, 2017 at 5:31:20 pm

I think P-2 AMA Plugin was the issue. I didn't have it. Once installed, things seem to be working - with a few quirks here or there. If I change the "Link" settings, "P-2 Import" becomes a File menu option and seems to work. If I return "Link" settings to auto, "Link Media" allows me to link to the P-2 media.

Thanks for your help. I wonder since I'm dealing with MXF files, whether there's really any benefit to importing rather than linking?

Bruce Cooke

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 26, 2017 at 7:48:15 pm

LINK will connect spanned media into one clip. IMPORT will make the separate MXF files as separate MXF files. I think...don't quote me. Test to see for yourself

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 26, 2017 at 9:01:43 pm

I believe Shane is correct about spanned clips, so then Linking and Transcoding would be the way to do it.

I would only Transcode though if Avid has any playback issues like stuttering or stalling.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]