FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL 1080 Progressive to NTSC 1080i/59.97

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Hooper
PAL 1080 Progressive to NTSC 1080i/59.97
on Jul 17, 2017 at 2:41:59 pm

Here’s my situation…

I am producing a documentary in NTSC format. I am editing on Avid Symphony 8. The project setting is 1080i/59.94.

The shoot was done with two cameras. Camera 1 was set to the correct settings. However by mistake, the second camera – an OSMO – was set to PAL 25fps progressive.

What is the best way to convert or import the PAL footage into the NTSC project to achieve best quality? I have tried transcoding directly into the project and also importing directly. I also tried setting up a separate PAL project then opening that bin in the NTSC project. In all cases the quality is not good with a lot of strobing and jaggy edges.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: PAL 1080 Progressive to NTSC 1080i/59.97
on Jul 18, 2017 at 12:46:05 am

For best quality you need to run this through an Alchemist. It's the best option for frame rate conversions...mainly standards conversions. Getting those cameras to the same settings in order to GROUP them...and look good, yeah, that might be the best bet.

On your own you can see about converting the footage to 23.98 first...dropping one frame per second. And then converting to 59.94i. 23.98 to 59.94i is relatively easy, and very common. This is the process of adding pulldown. Getting feature films onto interlaced tape...very common. Blends the frames into the fields. So yeah, two stage process...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]