FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid closed captioning export MXF OPIa file for PBS

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Scioli
Avid closed captioning export MXF OPIa file for PBS
on Jul 14, 2017 at 10:14:07 pm
Last Edited By Don Scioli on Jul 14, 2017 at 10:44:42 pm

I'm sure this has been covered but as an FCPX user, I need to send a documentary to PBS with closed captioning in a MXK OPIa file and this cannot be done with FCPX or Compressor. I have Avid MC 8.4.4 and had the CC"S created but cannot get them into the data track using the sub Cap or Effects Editor in Avid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the Internet and even Avid support files don't seem to work for me.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid closed captioning export MXF OPIa file for PBS
on Jul 14, 2017 at 11:54:35 pm

SubCap is a open captioning tool creating subtitles. For close captioning, follow this from the internal help guide in MC:

Importing Scenarist Closed Caption Files

The editing application supports importing Scenarist Closed Caption (.scc) files. SCC files provide a textual representation of the Line 21 closed caption format, and can be used to generate closed captions.
To import .scc files:

1. Select File > Input > Source Browser.

2. Select the Import button.

3. Navigate to the location of the .scc file and either drag and drop the file to the bin or select the Target Bin at the bottom right of the Source Browser window and click Import. The AncData Import dialog box opens. The starting timecode and drop frame checkbox will be automatically populated with the applicable information from the selected .scc file.

4. Click OK to accept these values so the clip and associated meta-data will match the contents of the SCC file. The .scc file appears in your target bin. It can be added to the Timeline just like any other clip. However it is a D-track only clip that contains only the 608 compatibility bytes from EIA-708.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 15, 2017 at 1:24:14 am
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Jul 15, 2017 at 2:10:32 am

Thanks for this info on importing .scc files into Avid.

I've had some issues in certain Versions of MC where no matter what I did with the SCC file I could only get the CEA-608 CC. Luckily the CC people I work with use Mac Caption and are able to give me AAF CC files. Ok course Avid managed to somehow completely break that from 8.8.2 to 8.8.4 and 8.8.1 would only bring in the SD CC from an AAF.

Thankfully version 8.8.5 fixed that.
After more searches I see that the best way to get HD CC out of Avid is to use the AAF CC Files.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jul 16, 2017 at 3:42:21 pm

I've started using premiere pro for this purpose. Bring in an .scc file, duplicate it, convert it to 708.
Put the video on track 1, 608 captions on track 2, and 708 captions on track 3. Export as an mxf file with embedded captions.

I wish Avid could either convert the 608 to 708 like premiere does, or read an mcc file, which does have both.
I had forgotten about the aaf option, but I'm running the less expensive captionmaker version, which doesn't export aafs, just .scc or mcc files.

You said the aaf was broken in previous versions...that might be part of why I was so frustrated with Avids workflow.
608 is easy out of Avid. 708 is a PITA.

(Better yet submit to CBC...they just ask for the .scc file ...Yaaaaaa!)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
on Jul 17, 2017 at 11:07:13 pm

Sorry, I only have Avid 8.44 so the source browser workaround does not work for me.nay other suggestions?
I can't get the .scc imported into a bin, it just imports a blank file, with no description in the bin, just the film frame icon.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jul 18, 2017 at 2:20:18 pm

the basic import should work. I can't remember when .scc import was brought in, but i thought it was before 8.4.
You might want to check the caption file. I think it has to be 59.94 or 29.97 for Avid to import it. If it was created at 23.98, i think you might not get it to work.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]