FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony FS7 4K Avid Workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liz Parham
Sony FS7 4K Avid Workflow
on Jul 10, 2017 at 10:24:34 pm

I've used Premiere + FCPX/7 but have managed to avoid Avid for my entire career...until now? We have lots of TBs of footage shot on a Sony FS7 / 4K / XAVC-L that I thought I could ingest directly into FCPX, but it seems I would need to use EditReady to rewrap the .mxf files and then transcode all of the clips. Would I need to do this with Avid? Or can I import directly and transcode within the NLE? I know little about AMA/linking workflows, but I can learn as long as I don't have to copy (rewrap) my original media + transcode from there.

It's a feature documentary so I don't plan on editing natively fyi...just want to create 1080 proxies from my 4k footage and relink back to the original media for finishing. The roundtrip AVID ---> Resolve workflow seems solid except most of this film will be in slow motion and was shot in both 23.98 + 60p, which I worry might be difficult to relink back to in Resolve in addition to reframing and other speed changes.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sony FS7 4K Avid Workflow
on Jul 11, 2017 at 2:07:32 am

You can AMA link and transcode, but you need to buy an AMA plugin to do that, as Sony doesn't develop one anymore. It's been handed off to Nablet...

http://www.nablet.com/ama-plugins/

So you'll need to buy that, and then you can AMA link and transcode to offline proxies for editing, and then relink to the masters in Resolve. OR...use Resolve to create Avid media. Since you are going back...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Sony FS7 4K Avid Workflow
on Jul 11, 2017 at 5:54:39 pm

Unless I am missing something, it looks like these are actually free, so nothing to purchase, really...just download.

I missed this whole transition, as I have been mostly in Adobe land the past year. Had no idea Sony handed it off.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]