FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX to MC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Hrycyk
FCPX to MC
on Jul 2, 2017 at 10:11:59 am

I've been asked to 'finish' an hour doc once the rough cut (director) is done. Besides the fact I would only have 5 days to tweek, color, mix and fix the whole thing. Rough cut being done in FCPX, what would I be getting into trying to get something usable in MC from FCPX. XML? Probably no AAF? I have never touched FCPX. Thoughts/ideas very much appreciated!

Nick Hrycyk
Bluefish Post

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX to MC
on Jul 2, 2017 at 12:25:13 pm

FCPX only outputs FCPXML lists, which are unique. You will need other apps to convert these lists to something else. Your best bet is to use Resolve. It can read FCPXML and output AAF. So you can use Resolve to roundtrip the material into MC. If the rough cut is simple enough and the media is proper (valid TC, no dupe names) it should work.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 2, 2017 at 1:29:30 pm

Or once in Resolve, just finish there?

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jul 3, 2017 at 2:00:30 pm

Remember, you might be able to get a list out of Resolve to Avid to build the sequence, but you will not be getting all the bin information and organization, so you will pretty much have to rebuild that yourself. Might be time for a crash course in fcpx if you only have 5 days.

Once the edit is locked, then move it over to resolve for a finish...or resolve to avid for a finish.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 3, 2017 at 3:53:26 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] "but you will not be getting all the bin information and organization"

Yep. Roundtrips through Resolve are typically only good for sequence translation, not whole projects.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Nick Hrycyk
on Jul 5, 2017 at 10:58:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to experiment with the FCPX-Resolve route, however I am going to pass on this particular gig. 5 days for what they want plus when I asked about the audio mix the answer was "We're not looking for a full mix, just some stock music where needed!" Whole thing feels like trouble waiting to happen! Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should!

Nick Hrycyk
Bluefish Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]