FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing audio to custom track assignment

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henry Bolton
Importing audio to custom track assignment
on Jul 1, 2017 at 5:05:47 pm

Hi there,

Is it possible to change the track assignment of a mono audio clip? I have 16 mics recorded in the field and they all come in as A1 when imported. When I group them together with the 4 camera video clips it creates a group where I have to right-click on the A1 clip to choose which mic I want. But I want a group clip with each mic on a different track, A1 - A16.

How can I achieve this?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Importing audio to custom track assignment
on Jul 2, 2017 at 1:10:43 am

How are the tracks named before import? Do they have their track number as the end of the file name? And when importing, are you selecting combine in the settings?

Michael

Return to posts index

Henry Bolton
on Jul 2, 2017 at 5:24:19 pm

I don't know how the tracks are named and I didn't do the importing myself so I'm not sure about the combine option. I didn't know anything about Broadcast Wave Monophonic groups until today but I just ran a test and that's the answer! If the audio file you're importing ends with "_2" then it goes to A2. If it ends with "_3" then it goes to A3.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jul 3, 2017 at 1:16:48 am

That's good to know. :)

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jul 2, 2017 at 9:45:42 am

Try making new clips with all the audio before grouping them.

So make a sequence and sync all 16 tracks of audio to the video for each video clip, so 4 sequences like that for your 4 clips. Then autosync them to create new clips with all the tracks. Then group them.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 2, 2017 at 1:28:47 pm

The above is good advice for clips you've already imported, but it's still best to properly prepare them ahead of time before import so that any lists generated (if needed) will track proper source channel.

Michael

Return to posts index

Henry Bolton
on Jul 2, 2017 at 5:05:36 pm

Yes autosync will do the trick, but then I lose the names of the original clips, which are useful to identify whose mic is whose. Better than nothing though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 2, 2017 at 5:12:13 pm

See my blog on syncing and preserving names. The individual track info will be in fields TRK1, etc. but not as the name itself in the timeline as it inherits the V name
http://24p.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/using-pluraleyes-to-syn...

You may want to try grouping instead and see if that works for you.

Michael

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jul 3, 2017 at 1:12:02 am

You should have the wav file names in the TapeID column. If each mic has a unique name for each take that indicate which mic it is then you probably don't have to worry about the TRKx column info. Or even a unique Sound Roll, which it maybe should have since it seems they were all recorded separately. Why is that they aren't all in one wav file with multiple tracks?

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jul 3, 2017 at 1:14:31 am

You should have the wav file names in the TapeID column. If each mic has a unique name for each take that indicate which mic it is then you probably don't have to worry about the TRKx column info. Or even a unique Sound Roll, which it maybe should have since it seems they were all recorded separately. Why is that they aren't all in one wav file with multiple tracks?

I didn't go to the link in Michael's post but if he has a way for you to get everything in order before import that's probably your best bet to be safe.

Return to posts index

Henry Bolton
on Jul 3, 2017 at 7:38:58 am

Thanks for the input!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]