FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding LUTs in Avid and Working w/ DNx175 Footage?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Frank
Adding LUTs in Avid and Working w/ DNx175 Footage?
on Jun 25, 2017 at 6:53:35 am

Will adding LUTs to your footage in Avid slow the system down or eat up any processing power? Are there any cons to this workflow?

Will working in DNx175 on a feature with lots of footage slow Avid down? In the timeline there will be a widescreen matte layer and working with lots of group clips with 2 cameras. However, I will not be using multicamera mode.

I am used to working with DNx36 footage with the LUT already baked into the transcodes from Resolve and just wondering what Avid is capable of these days. We will be using a 2015 iMac with a single 8TB 7200rpm USB 3 gtech drive and a trashcan with a 4 bay OWC thunderbolt array with Raid 0 and 7200rpm Sata III drives. Will both or either of these systems work? Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Adding LUTs in Avid and Working w/ DNx175 Footage?
on Jun 25, 2017 at 4:32:57 pm

your widescreen matte may be the biggest barrier for smooth playback..depending on the length of your sequence.

Is it an actually matte key, or are you just using a film mask effect? I think a film mask should be much easier on the system.

Any DNX format on a decent box in Avid should run pretty smoothly.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Paul Frank
on Jun 25, 2017 at 6:41:59 pm

I'm using the 1.66 film mask on the top video layer. The first cut could be as long as 3 hours but will eventually be closer to 90 minutes. I can break the film up into reels if need be. We could also bake the mask into the transcode if necessary.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 25, 2017 at 11:36:39 pm

Everything takes up some processing, so yes. How much? Hard to tell. Also, you might want to consider using the matte generator that's available in the source, record, and full-screen playback so you don't need to manage it as a top layer.

Michael

Return to posts index

Paul Frank
on Jun 25, 2017 at 11:55:46 pm

How do you do the matte generator? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 26, 2017 at 1:07:48 am

Project Window to select aspect ratio in "Mask Margins":

And then right click in the source or record viewer to choose Target Mask:

Michael

Return to posts index

Paul Frank
on Jun 26, 2017 at 7:35:42 am

This is awesome and works great but the only catch is my exports don't have the mask with this setting. Is there a way to change that or do I have to put a mask in the timeline for it to work on exports? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 26, 2017 at 1:59:22 pm

Check this setting in Export Settings:

Michael

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jul 15, 2017 at 9:01:19 am
Last Edited By Nina Lucia on Jul 15, 2017 at 9:21:45 am

Is there anywhere to enable the mask exporting in 8.3.1? I can enable the mask but I don't have that export option. Seeing as you have the "legal range" option for the color space I assume you're on a later version.

If not, I can just make a mask but it seems there should be that option somewhere.

Interestingly, I just found in "Full Screen Playback" setting an option to enable the Target Mask for that but it doesn't affect exports. I'm glad to have found that though since I have burn-ins on the bottom of the screen in the matte that I want covered up when I play the cut in full screen for the director.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 15, 2017 at 10:54:49 am

The option to do so was added later so earlier versions of Target Mask did not have the capability.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]