FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline plays all clips at wrong speed

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Vida
Timeline plays all clips at wrong speed
on Jun 19, 2017 at 2:18:55 am

Hi:

I'm a first-time poster to the forum, but this community has been helping me for years. I've hit a problem in Media Composer 8.4.0 and can't find reports of this elsewhere on the web.

All of a sudden, and in all of my projects, every clip and sequence plays at about 10x faster than the correct speed. It's as though the "Play" button thinks it's a "FF" button. This is true in both the source and record windows, with or without effects applied to tracks, with and without rendering clips, and with media from different media drives.

As an experiment, I exported a 5-second sequence from the timeline as a QT movie. The export played at the correct speed. Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,

Ron

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Timeline plays all clips at wrong speed
on Jun 19, 2017 at 2:19:40 pm

Strange...stuck key? You know if you hit "L" more than once it will speed up playback?...the mouse jog button is activated and the mouse is triggering it forward?

When playing at fast speed, what does the playback indicator say on the source/record window? If Avid is trying to play at 2x or 3x speed, it will say so in the play icon.

I recently had an issue with another program where my Wacom pen was resting on the tablet while I used the mouse, and that screwed up that program royally...havent' seen that behaviour in Avid, but could be a conflict with another input device.

Try creating a new user and see if it persists.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ron Vida
on Jun 20, 2017 at 11:22:52 am

Thanks, Glenn:

Well, as quickly as the problem appeared -- and then persisted for 2 days -- it disappeared. Strange as it seems, the one thing I hadn't tried was advancing through the timeline frame-by-frame a few times. Now everything plays normally again.

Odd. Even more odd is that, unlike just about every other glitch I've experienced on AVID, I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere on the web.

Many thanks again for your suggestions,

Ron

Return to posts index

Ron Vida
on Jun 21, 2017 at 3:43:13 am

... And I'm back with the original problem. This is truly bizarre. I've taken a 2-min screen recording of the problem. Can anyone spot the issue here?

"Too Fast AVID" (02:48)

Thanks in advance!

Ron

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jun 21, 2017 at 4:06:56 am

That is weird.

Did you try making a new user setting? Does it do that in the default user setting?

Also, you can try deleting your user folder at the desktop level when you are out of MC. The z folder in the project folder. It will rebuild. That can get rid of funky behavior.

And then there's trashing the mc state settings and site settings which will rebuild but you will have to reset some of it. So you can copy them to the desktop and if it doesn't fix it just put them back so you don't have to redo anything you've set up.

If you find a solution please post back with it!

Return to posts index

Ron Vida
on Jun 21, 2017 at 5:17:08 am

OK, Nina, I'd like to try your ideas. (Glenn had suggested trying new user settings as well.)

I created a new user within MC but the problem persists. Can you tell me more about where to find the "z" folder that you mentioned. I've been looking in users/Documents/Avid Projects but not finding it. Also, how do you trash the MC state settings and site settings?

Appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jun 21, 2017 at 8:45:26 am

Your user folder that starts with "z" will be inside your project folder at the finder level where your bins are. It should be your computer name with z in front of it. Quit MC and then navigate to where you keep your projects and go inside the project folder this is happening in and find that folder and delete it. It will rebuild when you restart MC.

For the MCstate settings go to Applications > Avid Media Composer > Settings. First just try trashing only the MCstate file. You can just drag it out to your desktop if it worries you but it will rebuild. That won't change things that you've set up in your project (window layout, fonts, etc... stuff like that, can't remember exactly what). That may fix it.

If you're still having the issue, you can try trashing Site Settings and Site_Attributes. Drag them out to the desktop so you can put them back if that doesn't fix anything since these will change things you've set up.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Ron Vida
on Jun 21, 2017 at 10:30:58 am

Thanks very much for such detailed instructions, Nina. Here's what happened.

For trashing the user settings, I wasn't able to find those "z" files you described, even after searching my system for all files containing "z". I did try deleting (or, rather, moving to the desktop) the entire user folder with my username. AVID did restore a new user identity for me but the problem persisted.

Next, I trashed the other files: MCstate, Site Settings and Site_Attributes. They were all rebuilt, as you predicted, when I went back into MC but the "chipmunk" playback problem continues.

😩

Ron

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 21, 2017 at 2:11:40 pm

That is weird...especially with the stills. I would have assumed it had something to do with the original media and how it was being interpreted in Avid, but with Stills playing 3x faster...and exporting properly...?

Have you tried creating a new project?
Is this the only project that does it?
What is your source material vs your sequence specs. (i know the stills did it too, but...)
Linking to clips instead of importing. (don't know why...but why not)

I've had weird timecode display happen in 720 59.94 projects before, but it was just displays..not actual playback speed.

If you would like to post your project and one of the clips/mediafiles, i'd be happy to see how it plays on my system.
Trying it on a totally different box might be your best option right now to see if it persists.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ron Vida
on Jun 21, 2017 at 3:06:58 pm

Hi, Glenn

Let me go through your thoughts on this...

[Glenn Sakatch] "Have you tried creating a new project?
Is this the only project that does it?"

Yes, and the problem not only persists with the new project, but also with all my previous projects up to this point!

[Glenn Sakatch] "What is your source material vs your sequence specs. (i know the stills did it too, but...)
"

The problems began when I imported sequences originally from a cell phone. I opened the footage in Quicktime, which saved them as 1920 × 1080 H.264, AAC, mebx. Originally I just linked to these files but then I imported them "properly" to MC.

[Glenn Sakatch] "Linking to clips instead of importing. (don't know why...but why not)"
Sure, I can try that. Can you see a problem with having clips duplicated in my bins? One version of the clip refers to AVID media and the other is the linked version, pointing to the original .mov file. Any potential conflicts there?

[Glenn Sakatch] "If you would like to post your project and one of the clips/mediafiles, i'd be happy to see how it plays on my system.
Trying it on a totally different box might be your best option right now to see if it persists."

Haven't tried this before. It would be great if you could have a look. I'm new to saving out projects, though. What are the key words I should be looking for if I were to learn how -- consolidation? exporting projects?

Appreciate the help!

Ron

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac14,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM143.0118.B14
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 12, 2017 at 2:45:22 am
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Jul 12, 2017 at 2:49:25 am

One quick note on your User. Go to where your User is saved and Zip it for safety reasons.

When you want to detach Avid from a User you must move it to the trash and empty it because it can and will in many cases link to it even if you move it somewhere else. That's why I suggest zipping it first, I've trashed a User in the past without a backup and Avid wouldn't start up until I grabbed a User from another system.

Try this Utility it's helped me in the past.
I will say that it trashes everything so you may find yourself reseting a lot of your User Settings. I can't be held responsible for what it does though.

https://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]