FORUMS: list search recent posts

59.94p footage with 29.97p audio, 4k aspect ratio, and more...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kari Herring
59.94p footage with 29.97p audio, 4k aspect ratio, and more...
on May 31, 2017 at 10:42:44 pm

Hi friends,

Our production house loves to be on the very forefront of technology. This means a lot of adaptation and struggle for the post department (me), especially when software has not yet caught up to the camera hardware. Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

Setting up our newest project, ingesting footage from several shoots this year, across several types of cameras. Instead of our usual 1080p 29.97, it looks like almost everything has been shot in 2k, 2.8k, 4k, and about half of it in 59.94 progressive. Luckily Avid 8 has gotten to the point where it has the ability to ingest 59p larger than 720, so that's great. However, trying to ingest the audio, and there is no 59p option, even in a 59p project. Best advice for syncing 59p footage with 29p audio? I imported the audio at 29p DF and tried to group by in points but I get an error message that says the edit rates are "incompatible" (no surprise there). Do I need to convert the footage to match the audio? That seems like a bad plan.

Most of the editors will be working in Avid 7.0.6 with transcoded DNX 45 footage, so all the clips have been converted to 1080 size. I anticipate having to online the sequences entirely in Avid 8, since Avid 7 can't even open a bin with 4k AMA clips. Actually, some of the AMA bins won't open at all, and some of them will open, but Avid 7 reads the AMA clips as 1080 when they are actually 2k and 4k when I open them in Avid 8.

I have not burned in the FrameFlex. I transcoded in a 1080 project, and the 4k clips became 1080, but they retained their original size information. Through FrameFlex and/or the "Reformat" column, I can easily correct the clip to display in its intended aspect ratio, and even center crop it which blows it up to its original 4k size.

Any words of advice or warning? How do I get this 59.94p footage to group with 29.97p audio? How do I get my footage to play nice in Avid 7.0.6 and 8.5.0.41? Working on dual boot Macs 10.7.5 and 10.9.5. Do I need to convert all my 59p footage to 29p and overcut later (please say there's another way)? Bonus: What other difficulties should I anticipate?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 59.94p footage with 29.97p audio, 4k aspect ratio, and more...
on Jun 1, 2017 at 4:23:10 pm

[Kari Herring] "However, trying to ingest the audio, and there is no 59p option, even in a 59p project. Best advice for syncing 59p footage with 29p audio?"

Audio doesn't have a frame rate...only a SAMPLE rate. 44.1kHz, 48kHz, etc.

[Kari Herring] "I imported the audio at 29p DF and tried to group by in points but I get an error message that says the edit rates are "incompatible"

What happens when you make a 1080p59.94 project and import the audio into that?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: 59.94p footage with 29.97p audio, 4k aspect ratio, and more...
on Jun 2, 2017 at 1:50:39 pm

You may need to change the edit rate of the project itself to be 29.97 in order for this to work. Look at the format tab in the project window for starters and try again.

As far as importing audio, is Media Composer prompting for a frame rate (as it should) in order to calculate timecode based on "sample from midnight"? And if so, is there a 59.94 option? I can't recall myself.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]