FORUMS: list search recent posts

CDL workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony Dupsta
CDL workflow
on May 15, 2017 at 10:00:00 pm

Looking for an assistant editor with experience using CDLs in their AVID timeline and workflow.

I am interested in a workflow where the CDL values are applied in the edit to the raw dailies. Rather than the dailies having the CDLs baked in. This way Editorial can audition different values and receive dailies from multiple vendors and color is applied in the NLE.

Can editorial manage and apply CDL values to clips? I am not an AVID Editor, I am familiar with the tradition workflow, I want to explore this as an unconventional option. Have editorial manage and apply CDL values, rather than baking them into dailies when they are originally generated.

I was hoping to chat with a hands-on AE with experience with this. Thanks for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: CDL workflow
on May 15, 2017 at 11:10:19 pm

been a while, but i'm pretty sure you can import CDLs on a clip by clip basis within the frame flex area. Same as applying a LUT.

Sounds like hell having to do multiple versions of cdls for each shot though. If i were an EA, my rate would go up :)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: CDL workflow
on May 16, 2017 at 12:55:25 pm

The workflow is pretty straightforward - the ALE is imported like any ALE but includes CDL values. The same CDL values indicate the color choices as to what was baked in or what needs to be applied as an effect on the source. It depends on whether you apply the values or not as a source effect in source settings. If baked in, you don't want them applied (turn off automatic in color settings) or you will double apply. If dailies are "log" then turning them on via auto or applied in source settings will apply them as part of the real-time play.

Note that is counts as a real time effect so a somewhat beefier system will be needed the more complex the sequence becomes. There also may still be some limitations with some multicamera mode, but that may be LUT only.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]