I am using DaVinci Resolve 14 Public Beta to make MXF proxies for editing in Avid MC 8.8. Everything seems to be going fine, until I bring the MXF files into Avid, where the timecode for the clips is completely off, and some clips have no timecode or tape name, despite the fact that I can see this metadata in Resolve as well as when I open them in QuickTime 7. Here is my process
1. We have received video files as a photo jpeg codec, they are 4K and have an .mov extension and unique timecode and name for each file.
2. I have brought these files into Resolve 14 Beta. In the Master Project Settings under Conform Options I have checked the Use Timecode embedded in the source clip radio button. I have also checked the Assist using reel names for the Source Clip Filename radio buttons. This metadata is now visible and as it should be.
3. Switching to the edit tab of Resolve I add all the clips to a timeline.
4. On the deliver tab I select the Avid AAF render settings, format MXF OP-Atom, DNxHD 36 etc. On the file tab I select Filename uses Source Name radio button and I check Preserve source directory levels.
5. I set the Location to the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 path on the root of the server, then render.
6. Once render is finished I open the Avid project that was created for the project and lives in the Avid_projects folder on the root of the server directory. In this project I make a new bin and right click input, media browser, then link to the mxf media. It comes in fine, looks fine, sounds fine.
However, the timecode that I am seeing in Avid is wrong, despite the fact that I can open an MXF in QuickTime 7 and see the desired timecode, as well as bringing that same MXF back into Resolve and also seeing the timecode I want. And inexplicably for some clips there is no timecode at all OR tape name, despite the fact that I can see that this metadata does in fact exist in Resolve and in QuickTime.
I am currently re-rendering the problematic clips and placing them in Avid MediaFiles/MXF/2 in hope that somehow they will be ok now and at least have timecode when showing up in Avid, but I am skeptical and running up against my lack of Avid knowledge. Of course we are doing all this because the cut will go to a grade and need to be conformed. Hoping someone has additional insight, or can point out something I missed.
This work is being done on a Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan Late 2013
Processor, 3 GHz 8-core Intel Xeon E5
Memory, 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics, AMD FirePro D700
Ordinarily one would uncheck 'preserve source directory' when using MXF Op-atom with Avid.
If the files are in the MXF/1/ folder (or any numbered folder) then Avid will build the necessary database files to work with those clips and not need to link to them. It does not drill down into subfolders.
Not sure if this is the reason for the TC discrepancy
Thanks Trevor, that worked! The timecode and reel name are coming into Avid exactly how I want them to.
I did switch over to DaVinci Resolve 12.5 for this one, didn't want to experiment any more since we are on a deadline. However the beta version of Resolve 14 has been great for other projects, and the GPU acceleration with CUDA or OpenCL is impressive. I'll respond to this thread if I find anything else out.