FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrating Sequences from Premiere to Avid AMA workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hilary Crowe
Migrating Sequences from Premiere to Avid AMA workflow
on Apr 18, 2017 at 5:12:15 pm

There are countless posts about the frustrating migration from Premiere to Avid, but I'm hoping someone can please clarify what it means for AMA workflow.

From what I've found online, exporting AAF from Premiere and directly import into Avid just doesn't work—nothing can relink. On Premiere's help site, they advise: "AAF files exported from Premiere Pro and imported into Avid Media Composer do not automatically relink to the source footage. To relink the footage, use the Batch Import option in Avid Media Composer."

My plan was to try going that route first, and then go through Resolve (as advised by the ever helpful Shane Ross on many a thread here), if/when that approach fails. I was discussing this with an editor, who said that yes, batch import would theoretically be a way to relink to media in Avid, but only if I'm going to abandon AMA workflow. Which, of course, freaked me out. When asked to clarify:

"If you AMA + Transcode, and you have clips with linked media, then you’re looking at linking your imported AAF sequence to the existing clips and MXF media. But, if you’re trying to bring in a sequence and then batch import to the clips that the AAF creates that’s a totally different way of doing this. It probably could work, but not what I would recommend."

What I was thinking, with batch import, is that I'd import the Premiere AAF to Avid, then decompose the sequence, select those revealed clips, and batch import the transcodes I created in Avid from AMA linking to the source footage. Wouldn't that not work? (I mean, beyond the obvious problems with Premiere-generated AAFs for Avid.) Further, if I scrap that initial plan and go from Premiere > Resolve > Avid, would the resulting AAF sequence in Avid just never be able to link up to the original media?

Basically, my question is this: What is the best way to bring sequences from Premiere to Avid in such a way that preserves AMA workflow? Is it even possible, when bringing Premiere sequences to Avid, or is the only way overcutting a QT Ref file of the Premire sequence with AMA + transcoded clips in Avid?

Many thanks for any pointers; I fear I may be confusing myself at this point!

Return to posts index

Rickard S. Söderström
Re: Migrating Sequences from Premiere to Avid AMA workflow
on Apr 20, 2017 at 10:33:22 am

I tried Ama clips (Links). But it craches on The way back to PP. And The playback is jittery on My machine. So try The round trio to PP early.

R

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]