FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking from externally transcoded proxy media to camera original files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Price
Relinking from externally transcoded proxy media to camera original files
on Apr 8, 2017 at 6:38:02 pm

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time figuring out the best approach to this /online offline workflow....

- I have camera original footage
- I have externally transcoded DNxHR LB files transcoded from Davinci Resolve sourced from those camera orginal files

- I've imported the DNxHR files and have been editing with them.

My question is, how do I relink that DNxHR proxy media back to the camera original footage for online use. I know that if I had transcoded the media in Avid, and did a Consolidate and Transcode with AMA linked media, I would be able to relink with ease, but I'm curious, with externally transcoded proxies, how do I reliably link those proxies, back to the camera raw files.

I've tried, linking the RAW camera files to a seperate bin, and then selecting the proxy media and right clicking "relink" but it and then choosing the "Select items from all Bins" option, but it gives me an error, saying no media was relinked.

Is it not possible to relink externally transcoded media to it's original raw file, within Avid?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Relinking from externally transcoded proxy media to camera original files
on Apr 8, 2017 at 8:21:12 pm

[Peter Price] "My question is, how do I relink that DNxHR proxy media back to the camera original footage for online use. "

You can't in Avid, because you made them outside of Avid.

But...you know that:

[Peter Price] "I know that if I had transcoded the media in Avid, and did a Consolidate and Transcode with AMA linked media, I would be able to relink with ease, "

Correct. If you did this in Avid, then Avid would know what the source material is that's linked to the proxies. Because it was done outside of Avid, you can't relink.

[Peter Price] "but I'm curious, with externally transcoded proxies, how do I reliably link those proxies, back to the camera raw files."

By doing it in the application that you made the proxies...Resolve. Export an AAF from Avid, import that into Resolve, relink to the camera masters, and then finish in Resolve, or transcode them to a higher res format and send that back to Avid to finish.

[Peter Price] "Is it not possible to relink externally transcoded media to it's original raw file, within Avid?"

Not unless you AMA linked and transcoded within Avid.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Peter Price
on Apr 8, 2017 at 8:38:42 pm

Cool. Thanks for the clarification!

As far as linking back to camera media via Resolve, I tried that method, and also ran into issues. I exported an AAF, from Avid, then imported that AAF into Resolve. It took in the proxy media, and when I tried relinking to High Res, or doing any type of conform, it kept giving me an error saying that the camera media and the proxy media timecode didn't match.

What did I do wrong?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 8, 2017 at 8:42:01 pm

Did you first populate the Media Pool with the camera masters, and then import the AAF? Take the Proxies offline when you do this.

But...

[Peter Price] "when I tried relinking to High Res, or doing any type of conform, it kept giving me an error saying that the camera media and the proxy media timecode didn't match."

This might be a problem. Check the masters and the proxies and see if the timecodes match, or if they indeed don't match. If they don't match, then you won't be able to relink...that'll be a major issue.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 9, 2017 at 12:09:26 am

In Media Composer for those master clips, Display Source File, Tape, and Timecode and see what is listed there.

Does Tape have any metadata in it? If so, anything that references the original file?
Source File (should be empty of coming from Resolve dailies, but just checking)
Start (timecode) should be what Resolve has for the same file.

Please report back.

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 9, 2017 at 4:19:52 pm

You can do this in Avid, but it is all dependent on how the media was built in Resolve in the first place. (Type of camera original is important too, as some files just don't get proper metadata in Resolve...(MTS))

Proper timecode and clip names/reel info are extremely important. If those weren't assigned correctly in Resolve on round 1, then they will not relink in Avid now. If in avid you see a lot of MSMMOB clips in the information columns, then you are in a bit of trouble.

If you can find some of the information matching in Avid for both the proxys and the camera original, then you can start playing with your relink to selected settings to find a match.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]