FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC 8.1 - Native Codec Export/Import?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Jay Gould
Avid MC 8.1 - Native Codec Export/Import?
on Apr 4, 2017 at 3:41:54 pm

Greetings All,

Been away from Avid for awhile (okay, a century) and am now helping out a community college still running MC 8.1. Back in the Meridian hardware days I recall that we could export a file using the native Avid codec of the day, and it would import into another MC instantly as there was no need to decompress/recompress. What's the workflow for that on an MC 8.1 system? Currently they're exporting to H.264 and then reimporting, so they're adding compression artifacts and taking forever. I know there's a better way but haven't needed to do this since Meridien.

FWIW, budgets being what they are, they're still working in SD. (!!)

Any help appreciated!

Pete Gould

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid MC 8.1 - Native Codec Export/Import?
on Apr 5, 2017 at 12:11:07 am

If going from one MC to another MC, just copy the MediaFiles directly along with project and bin or just bins and move to the other system.

If it is AMA linked, that that is a different matter.

Michael

Return to posts index

Peter Jay Gould
on Apr 5, 2017 at 4:47:09 pm

Hi Michael (and Pat),

The workflow they've been using involves 20 student Avid workstations each using local storage (they're trying to replace all this with networked storage which would change everything, but not on today's budgets). Students export packages to be rolled in to studio-based programs, and these are imported into another Avid in the studio which is rigged for live playback (kludgey but it works for them and they've done it for many years). So they're not needing to import the actual project and media in the studio, just export a project to a file that will do a fast import at the other end. I'm told they tried and tried to do this and it was never successful, and since I haven't had to do it since the Meridien hardware days (I've been editing Avid off and on since 1993 but I've had a long break) and my time in their facility is limited I'm trying to get the jump on things.

So: does exporting same-as-source set the right flags to ensure a fast import? That's apparently what they tried without success. I will give it a shot myself and see how it goes. It's tough being out of the loop for awhile.

Pete

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 5, 2017 at 5:15:07 pm

Then I would suggest exporting as OP1a via the AMA export and select the DNxHD codec you want to use. I wrote a blog on the process and may work well for you.

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=278

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 5, 2017 at 8:19:11 am

Move media files as mentioned. Or use consolidate.
Or export Same As Source.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]