FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer potential bug? White screen instead of black on empty space.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hanqin Lin
Media Composer potential bug? White screen instead of black on empty space.
on Mar 19, 2017 at 4:26:22 am

I have noticed a odd behavior on my media composer recently. It happens when I export the sequence as a Quicktime reference file and try to import it in order applications for rendering. All the blank spaces in my timeline should come out as black frames but now they all appear to be white frames in the exported QT file.

I've been using Adobe Encoder to do my renders for a long time(no money for Sorenson Squeeze..) Normally, after finishing my edits in media composer, I would render out the timeline as a Quicktime reference file and import that into Premiere to add the finishing titles/logos and stuffs(avid is kinda bad when dealing with a lot of graphics). And then render out the finished H.264 for whatever deliverables in adobe encoder. Everything has been working fine until I updated to version 8.7 or so. Now all the blank spaces in my timeline will appear as white frames in the reference movie, despite the fact that I checked "substitute blank space with black" in the QT reference settings. Tried rendering the complete timeline In/Out before doing the reference render, still doesn't work. This affects my current project and the only workaround I found is to put a submaster effects onto every single hole in my timeline so that there is no blank space.

Anyone know if this problem? And any solutions or the cause of the problem?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Media Composer potential bug? White screen instead of black on empty space.
on Mar 19, 2017 at 5:46:50 am

Instead of QuickTime reference, try OP1a as noted in my blog and see if that makes a difference:
http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=278

Michael

Return to posts index

Hanqin Lin
on Mar 22, 2017 at 12:31:29 am

Yes, that did fix the white frame issue, if I use AMA file export to export directly to a OP1a mxf file. But unfortunately that doesn't help with my situation. The reason behind using QT reference as a middle ground and export using third party compressor is that I don't need to spend the time waiting for a master export for a 90 minute long clip and then spend another hour or so waiting for it to transcode to H264.

When I do the final mastering I do export the master clip first. But often time my clients demand super quick previews of multiple versions of the film, and yes it's a 90 something minute long feature film. I often times got put into situations where I have to get a 720p H264 format mp4 file rendered and ready in less than an hour. Albeit AMA file export is fast, there is no way I can make to full renders in that short amount of time, hence I'm looking for methods that are even faster. QT reference acts more or less like a AAF file that I can just send to a compressor and render out the H264 file in one pass. That's why I sticked to the QT reference and send to adobe encoder method.

It appears that the issue only occurs when I'm doing this kind of "reference render". Is there any solutions? Or a better way to directly render out preview quality H264 clips out of Avid in lightning fast speed.. -_-

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 23, 2017 at 12:42:51 pm

Have you tried moving all video up one track so that V1 is empty, and putting the submaster effect on V1? Doesn't really fix the bug, but its faster than finding all the gaps and adding an effect to them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]