FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcode Basic Ideas

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thurman Thomas
Transcode Basic Ideas
on Mar 15, 2017 at 3:17:11 pm

Hi All,

I have h.264 camera files on my desktop that I want to bring into Avid MC to edit. Since the h.264 slows down the performance of MC I'm going to Import the files and change them to a DNxHD codec. How do I know which Codec on the codec menu will preserve the highest quality of my original media? If I pick a codec that has worse resolution than my original media, how can I makes sure that my final edited video has the highest possible/same quality as my original media when I export? I think a clear precise answer to this basic question will help me understand a lot of what I might be missing in this process. Thanks in advance!

TT

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Transcode Basic Ideas
on Mar 15, 2017 at 3:53:55 pm

With H.264, you don't preserve image quality as much as you don't do any more damage than the codec has already done as it recorded. No fooling. But you can do that in Avid.

When you create a new project, go to the project settings (Media Creation?) & pick the settings you want to use. I'm not in front of my Avid machine, so I probably have the lingo wrong.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Transcode Basic Ideas
on Mar 15, 2017 at 8:00:58 pm

H.264 is a compressed 8-bit codec. If you transcode to DNxHD 145 (if the footage is 29.97), which is also 8 bit that will be fine. And DNxHD 175 (if the footage is 23.98) is also fine. Will look identical.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]