FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBook Pro + 2x external monitors

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Burgess
MacBook Pro + 2x external monitors
on Mar 12, 2017 at 1:15:10 pm

Hi there,

After an extended internet search I am unable to find a solution to the following questions and would be eternally grateful if someone could give me some advice!...

I'm running MCP 8.7.2 on a 2016 15" MacBookPro (specs below) and want to add two external monitors (Dell 27" 2560 x 1440 via USB C - Display Port cables)...

Will Avid configure to a 2 monitor setup where the third (not used for Avid) monitor is the MacBook? I've read that people have had problems with dual screen displays of different resolutions, and I had some issues with my old iMac and a smaller display used for the files/bin window. I will be using 2 screens of the same resolution but want Avid to ignore the MacBook?

I've also heard people having trouble in full screen mode - that it appears in the middle of the two monitors? I haven't got a mojo or matrox, etc for a client monitor so will be relying on the right hand monitor in full screen when I want to show to director?

Lastly, with the specs below, do you think running Avid with the 2 external screens is doable without slowing the system down? I'll mostly be cutting at DNX36 but may also have to do a simple post grade online, inc titles etc, working native with 4:4:4 Alexa footage. It's a short film of no more than 10 mins...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

All the best

I am running:
Avid Media Composer 8.7.2
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3
MacBookPro 15-inch, 2016
2.7 GHz i7
16gb Memory
Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB
Media files on an external G-Tech drive with USB3 B type - USB C adapter

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MacBook Pro + 2x external monitors
on Mar 12, 2017 at 7:47:18 pm

I cannot talk to the NEW MacBook Pros, but with my 2010 MBP, I had three monitors going. One via Thunderbolt>DVI...another with a USB>DVI adapter...and then I only used THAT as my Avid setup. MY Macbook was off the the side and I had email up on it. I just made the main screen the TB>DVI one.

Here, it's the first picture in this blog post (no need to read the post, just look at the pic)

http://lfhd.net/2015/06/13/thunderbolt-docks-a-review-2/

IN fact, in that picture I used the MBP to put the HUGE Mixer interface on.

But as I said, I cannot speak to how the new machine with ONLY USB-C/TB3 does. It might work the same, if not better. I had no lag on the system, and I was cutting XDCAM 422 MXF native.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Will Burgess
Re: MacBook Pro + 2x external monitors
on Mar 13, 2017 at 11:50:09 am

Brilliant, thanks Shane. That's great to know. My setup seems like it will be similar yet without the i/o box and client monitor.

Did you ever have any problems with full screen mode?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]