FORUMS: list search recent posts

PNG/TIFF files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Sinclair
PNG/TIFF files
on Mar 4, 2017 at 1:23:26 pm
Last Edited By Neil Sinclair on Mar 4, 2017 at 1:30:47 pm

If I am supplied a PNG or TIF file with an Alpha, in the timeline, I can alter the fill but not the alpha. Is there a way to manipulate or break out the alpha to repo or resize? Also when I double click the clip , it reveals tracks 1.1 - 1.3. What is the purpose of 1.1?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: PNG/TIFF files
on Mar 4, 2017 at 3:57:47 pm

When you bring in those files as keyable elements, you are basically bringing in a nested clip within Avid.

Key channel, fill channel, and a matte key effect added on top.

Double clicking it simply reveals the key and the fill.

If you want to alter the speed, or the size of one or both, then you can either double click to expose the workings, and add your effects to them, or you can actually drag the items out of the container, and place the tracks beside each other on the timeline. Note, bringing the first item out is pretty straight forward. Bringing the second item out could cause your timeline to ripple as the empty matte key container will be deleted, and Avid will want to fill in the space...just be aware. Some situations dictate alt dragging the clips out instead.

If you do remove them, do your adjustments, and then stack them on top of each other...matte on top I believe...and add a matte key effect back onto the matte clip. (depending on the matte, you may need to invert the key.)
It wont be as concise, as it will now occupy to video tracks, but it will work the same way.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Neil Sinclair
on Mar 6, 2017 at 6:51:39 pm

Thanks for the reply Glenn. That all makes perfect sense but my problem was having the Alpha locked and unable to alter it in any way. After analysing my workflow, here is the problem:

Dropping a PNG onto the timeline and stepping into it reveals that the alpha is locked (and displays with a locked icon).

It will remain locked no matter what I try. If I step out and double click it the alpha is still locked (but no lock icon)
No such problems if you double clicking and add fx to both layers in the timeline. However, If you add Fx to the fill or alpha and then step in then it becomes locked and unchangeable. Also, back in the timeline, there is no lock icon to warn you it is locked.

Annoying!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 6, 2017 at 10:28:18 pm

You arent manually locking the track yourself?
If you right click on the v2 or whatever track do you have the option to unlock it.

(Ive never seen that behaviour from an imported file)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Neil Sinclair
on Mar 7, 2017 at 9:24:41 am

No. Locking is created when stepping in. When I try to unlock, it offers this advice:

even though it has just locked the track itself!

Of course when I open it in the timeline, it won't display the lock icon or allow me to unlock it. This seems very a strange way to handle layers to me. Anyone else seeing this or offer an explanation why it might do this?

Using 8.7 on OS 10.11.3

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Mar 7, 2017 at 12:57:50 pm

I do not know if this still applies. Please note this is taken out of context from the original post but may be helpful ... In 2001, Jeff Greenberg wrote:

"How does a video mixdown help this to allow you to use this mattekey+alpha, separated from it's original imported file? An imported matte channel cannot be modified - it is locked. A video mixdown of the matte can be modified in anyway the editor sees fit.

if you step into the effect, opt-copy the V3 track (the alpha channel) you will copy the alpha channel to the clipboard and automatically load it into the source monitor.

You can then overwrite this over the original imported effect.

On your timeline now, you have the black and white alpha channel, ready for a matte key effect, without having to create more media on your drives with a mixdown.

And you're right, the stripping out method isn't going to work with the luma key."

Ricky

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Mar 7, 2017 at 12:59:23 pm

also look into Avid Community forums ( 2012 ) for "Unlocking Alpha Track"

Ricky

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 7, 2017 at 4:42:24 pm

I play with the channels all the time. I usually use tiffs, not pngs.

can you post a frame of the png to try on my box?
As i said, i've never seen this. Working on a timeline right now with a keyable tiff animation, and i'm not getting that
behaviour. I step in an speed change mattes/fills all the time. I wonder if it has something to do with the file creating a RT alpha vs a non RT alpha?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Neil Sinclair
on Mar 15, 2017 at 7:59:37 pm

Happens with every file (tiff, png, animation etc) that has a alpha, whether imported or linked. Can anyone else recreate this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]