FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid to Davinci Roundtrip Not Working

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wade
Avid to Davinci Roundtrip Not Working
on Feb 25, 2017 at 3:29:51 pm

Hey everyone, I'm at my whit's end on this project. The issue is, I'm in Louisiana and using Avid Media Composer 8.7, and my DP is in Dallas using Resolve (12.5 I think).

We tested a workflow before we ever shot the film, and it worked. That workflow was based off of a post we found here on roundtripping Avid to Davinci and back. Confident that we knew what we were doing, we proceeded forward.

Now the film is finished, I exported the timeline and sent it to him on a hard drive. He imported it in to Davinci, no problem. He did his color correction, exported the AAF and sent it back to me, with the exported color corrected MXF clips, on a hard drive. I loaded everything onto my computer and put it into the Avid Media Files folder, under MXF and a new folder "11".

When I import the AAF file into Avid, it comes in fine, but still linked to the old non-color corrected footage. I try to do the relink, and that's when things go awry.

I CAN NOT get avid to import the new color corrected MXF files. I've tried deleting the mmob files so Avid can reindex them, but it won't. It gives me an error about corruption and wanting to quarantine the files. If I put the original mmob file back in there, it doesn't appear to do anything at all.

I even tried importing them via the Media Tool, but it doesn't seem to find them. I'm at a loss. We've been working on this for months now, and for the first time since switching to Avid 7 years ago, I'm starting to doubt its usefulness.

If we can't find a solution, the next step is to just have him export out of Davinci as normal video filed so I can reimport them and recut the film locally with those, but I'm trying to avoid that for obvious reasons. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Avid to Davinci Roundtrip Not Working
on Feb 25, 2017 at 4:32:15 pm

Did he select the Avid roundtrip preset, or did he just call up settings that resemble that preset?
(you have to physically press the button and load the preset)

Did he export a new aaf from Resolve, or did he send you the one that is automatically created when you use the Avid roundtrip preset.
(the auto created aaf is the one that will link up the new color corrected media in Avid)

If you move the database out of your existing "1" folder, does it rebuild? (you do have proper permissions on the drive?)

If your mxf folder isn't indexing it is possible he exported bad mxfs. (again, use the preset)

Get him to try to render out a couple new clips using the preset and send those to you. See if Avid can index them.

I did start having issues with Resolve mxfs from 8.5 forward. Not sure what the issue was...could be one of the mxf variations isn't quite correct out of Resolve. (I had an existing project that had done the round trip, upgraded to 8.5, and my media was no longer working...went back to 8.4 to finish the project) Last one I did out of 8.6 and 8.7 was fine.
Haven't really had time to diagnose the differences.

If you can post one of the rendered mxfs, maybe I could see how my Avid reacts to it.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Chris Wade
on Feb 25, 2017 at 5:50:22 pm

Thanks for the response. I asked him, and he responded that the MXF files I have now were created with manual settings made to resemble the preset. It didn't create an AAF.

When that didn't work, he manually created an AAF from the timeline and sent me that new AAF through dropbox.

This last time he a full export with the preset, which created a new AAF and new MXF files. He then sent me that AAF file, but I still have the MXF files from the original export. Next step will be to have him mail me another hard drive with the new MXF files, and I'll try again.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 25, 2017 at 7:14:00 pm

Ya, the workflow does work, but it is best to do it as designed...use the preset, and combine those files with the aaf that is created. I hope that solves your issue.

You can change some of the settings in the preset workflow, but you have to start by pressing that button.
Creating your own setting without starting with the preset is well documented in this forum as causing issues.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]