FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pulling my hair out!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Bernard
Pulling my hair out!
on Feb 20, 2017 at 10:30:34 pm

I am begging someone to help me here...I still can't make an account on the Avid forums, I can't figure out what's wrong, no one seems to be having the issue I'm having and I can't call or create a support ticket with Avid because it's a trial version of the software. I'm about to throw this application away and spend my $1,500 on something else if I can't get it to work. This is ridiculous.

Here's my problem: The video in the composer window does not display correctly no matter what my project settings are; all resolutions give me the same issue, which you can see before you even link/import any video, so that's not the problem. What is displayed is the lower left hand corner of the actual video, then displayed in the upper left. You can see what I mean in the included picture.

I've tried everything. Here are my system specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (fully up to date)
i7-6700k
16 gigs of ram
512gig ssd
GTX 1080

I'm using Media Composer 8.8 Trial and the video file I'm using is a 1080p @29.97fps, and the codec is
DNxHD 175 (HD1080p)

Again, pulling my hair out and I desperately need help :<

Help me Creative Cow, you're my only hope!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Pulling my hair out!
on Feb 20, 2017 at 11:10:18 pm

Hmmm...looks like it's in multiclip mode. But not sure how you got there. What happens when you cut that clip into a sequence? Does it look like that on the PROGRAM monitor?

Open up the Command Palette, and in the MULTICAM tab, add the 4UP and 9UP to your PREVIEW button side. And then close the command palette, and click on them to see if they make this go away.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Bernard
on Feb 21, 2017 at 12:07:03 am

Doing the Multicam does not work and yes, it looks the same if I insert it into the time line.

I think this picture may better illustrate the issue I'm having, this is displaying it in the composer window, preview and timeline, as well as the source settings. You can clearly see the full image of the video in the source settings and which part of the clip it's displaying. (Don't mind the content, this is all I have to practice with.)

I should also note that shrinking the Composer window does reveal more of the video, but still crops it. This is the window manually shrunk as far as it can, and you can see it's showing more of the clip.

Return to posts index

Dan Bernard
on Feb 21, 2017 at 12:12:29 am

This is a brand new project, before importing anything, and you can see it has the same problems. No matter the settings.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 21, 2017 at 12:15:56 am

Avid can be very fussy about the Nvidia driver you have installed on a PC.

Make sure you have the one stated in the installation guide.

I'm mostly a Mac user, so I don't know which one Avid likes these days.

Return to posts index

Dan Bernard
on Feb 21, 2017 at 12:54:06 am

The installation guide calls for driver version 375.86, which I found in MC's folder on my PC. BUT, that driver version does not recognize my graphics card so I went and downloaded the next version up from that and am Installing it now. We'll see how that goes.

Return to posts index

Dan Bernard
on Feb 21, 2017 at 1:06:55 am

Now it's telling me it's failing to activate the trial. I'm going to throw it out the window :<

Return to posts index

Dan Bernard
on Feb 21, 2017 at 4:50:04 am

So, Media Composer freaked out because when I installed the trial after a fresh install of windows, the date and time were not correct, so when I corrected them, MC thought I had set the date and time back and that's why it couldn't activate the trial. So OK, I just did another install of windows, no biggie, and I installed the older version of the nvidia driver aaaaaand....same thing. Didn't fix anything. I'm super bummed at this point. I'm going to try the next driver down from what I have and see if that helps.

Return to posts index

Dan Bernard
on Feb 21, 2017 at 5:46:27 am

Ok, ok... I got it to work, however the process is rather annoying.

It's not working on my GTX 1080, no matter which version of the driver I installed. I don't know why, I've read forum posts from the official avid community (which I still can't make an account on) where their 1080's work just fine. Whatever, I'm over it for now. Maybe MC 9.0 will fix that.

Moving on.

Since I have an Intel i7 6700k, I have Intel HD 530 graphics. So I downloaded the drivers, installed them, had to uninstall MC and reinstall it and...BOOM! It worked! Splendidly!

However this is where it gets annoying. If I want to switch back to my GTX 1080, I can, however when I want to use MC I have to switch back to HD 530...which requires a re-install of MC. But hey, it's working and I can practice now.

MOVING ON!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]