FORUMS: list search recent posts

colour correcting

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon roberts
colour correcting
on Feb 17, 2017 at 8:16:34 pm

I have just received some rushes shot in a studio against a white background. It hasn't been lit very well and every time I try to bring up the Whites in the highlights and mid tones it affects everything else in the shot (people in front of the white B/G). I tried a secondary CC picking out the white but I still seem to lose a lot of detail in the people. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: colour correcting
on Feb 17, 2017 at 9:28:18 pm

Avid is not the best color correction tool. Even the higher end Symphony option has it's limits. You can try to adjust things in the CURVES tool. Even then, it often does broader strokes than wanted. For great control over color correction it's best to look at Resolve for grading, but that isn't a simple tool...fair warning.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 17, 2017 at 10:23:18 pm

Not sure how much movement is in the shot, but if you can put another copy of the clip on V2, you can use Animatte to draw feathered masks around the people, so you can correct the background somewhat separately. Have to do this carefully or the people will look like they are glowing or something.

Tough to do this kind of thing in Avid. Even with the Symphony option, it would be tough with a white background. Somewhat simpler with a color easier to isolate.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 18, 2017 at 4:41:00 pm

most color corrections are going to work in fairly broad strokes. Adjusting highlights is usually going to go into the mids as well, which is where a lot of your skin tones are.

Curves will work if you can add a point fairly high up the line, with a control point under it to lock in everything underneath.

In Resolve, you might want to try the log controls for the highlights, where you can adjust the area of its influence with much more control.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]