FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red lines on video clips Avid Media Composer

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna McPherson
Red lines on video clips Avid Media Composer
on Feb 14, 2017 at 9:42:22 am

Hello,

I'm very new to Avid Media Composer, currently using v8. I have a student who has created a new project, using a Mac, and is unable to play his video clips in the timeline. The video clips have red on them. I have asked if his video clips are saved in the same folder location as his project and he assures me of that.

I am a Premiere Pro user and wondered is it possible that he needs to link the video files? Can we right click on the video clips on the timeline to link them media, as in PP? Or, is this a rendering issue?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Anna M.

Return to posts index

Jon Hensen
Re: Red lines on video clips Avid Media Composer
on Feb 14, 2017 at 4:46:53 pm

Are the clips offline? Or is it as you say that they have a red line striking through the video, like certain trial versions of select video plugins? Screenshot for ref?

Are you using AMA to screen the footage or have you transcoded to make Avid Media (MXF wrapped)? For Media Composer you don't need to store your project and media in the same location necessarily, just need to access the media the same way you initially did in order to avoid re-linking.

There are many ways of figuring out where your media is being accessed from if you do not know. The fast menu on the bottom left of the bin has an option to "Set Bin Display", then select the box "show reference clips". This shows you every clip in your sequence. Navigate to "Drive" or add additional columns to get more info like "source path" for locations or "video" for codec.

Return to posts index

Anna McPherson
on Feb 14, 2017 at 5:03:30 pm

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for your reply. Here is a screenshot;

I don't believe he would have transcoded .mov files. Many thanks for the instruction of how to identify where the media is being accessed from.

Regards,

Anna.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2017 at 7:22:50 pm

That means that the media is offline...not seen by Avid. Looks like they only AMA Linked to them, and didn't transcode them. And that Avid sees them as being on the desktop. If they were moved, or renamed, then Avid would lose the link to them. Or if he is on a different computer, he wouldn't see them, as they are on the desktop of another computer.

When working with Avid, it's best to have a separate hard drive to store media, and to TRANSCODE the footage once you link to it. Avid doesn't work like Premiere. Gotta do things the Avid way.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 14, 2017 at 9:59:25 pm

Oh... I thought the actual image was red, not the events in the timeline... What Shane said.

Michael

Return to posts index

Anna McPherson
on Feb 15, 2017 at 5:40:48 pm

Thanks Michael.

Regards,

Anna.

Return to posts index

Anna McPherson
on Feb 15, 2017 at 5:40:13 pm

Hi Shane,

Thank you so much for your reply, it's much appreciated.

Regards,

Anna.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Feb 15, 2017 at 12:04:01 pm

On Windows, when linking, you can move from system to system and keep the link valid IF the drive you are accessing has the same "drive letter". You can specify drive letters for drives through disk management. If the drive letter is not the same and you cannot assign the same drive letter then you'll need to relink "not using the relink option" - see below. Also you will break the link when you move from WIN to MAC, again, use the info below to successfully relink.

I have not found "relink" to be 100% successful in these cases, rather, in the same bin where you originally linked (where the clips are offline) you must link through input/source browser again to the same files and that will cause the previously linked clips to come back online, even if you have renamed them in the bin.

Bouncing between MAC systems has not been an issue for us.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 15, 2017 at 2:20:17 pm

Also, you are monitoring V1, but your clips are on V2 and V3, which is why you are seeing black, not "media offline" in you viewer window. (that probably would have helped you diagnose some of the problem)

There is a little square next to the V1 track nearest the timeline. click that same spot on V3 and you will turn on monitoring on the upper tracks.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Anna McPherson
on Feb 15, 2017 at 5:42:33 pm

Many thanks Glenn,

Regards,

Anna.

Return to posts index

Anna McPherson
on Feb 15, 2017 at 5:42:03 pm

Hi Ricky,

Thank you so much for your reply, it's much appreciated.

Regards,

Anna.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]