FORUMS: list search recent posts

UHD file with Surround Sound

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Edwards
UHD file with Surround Sound
on Feb 9, 2017 at 2:07:06 pm

I'm having difficulty in playing Quicktime movies exported from MC8 in UHD with surround sound.

VLC plays the audio but not the video, Media Player Home Cinema won't play the file at all, Quicktime Pro plays the file but the rear left and right channels don't play.

Quicktime Pro will play a surround audio file but the channels are in the wrong places.

I'd be grateful for any pointers!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: UHD file with Surround Sound
on Feb 9, 2017 at 3:09:28 pm

I don't have an answer for your particular situation, but i'll share my experiences.

Surround is pretty straight forward if you are putting to a DVD....encode to DTS, drop it on a track, usually with a stereo version for those without the proper setup, and output a DVD with 2 audio choices for the viewer.

For computer playback, (typically) you are looking at creating a 6 or 8 channel output file, and that is where the issues happen.

There are a couple of standards to deal with in the audio suite and the edit suite, before it even gets to someones computer for playback. The basic issue is the order of the files. The most common setups are L, R, C, LFE, Ls Rs
or
L,C,R,LFE,Ls,Rs. Depending on how the audio was laid out by the audio engineer, or how the audio was laid out on the timeline by the editor, you can have very wrong results.

Then you need to look at the system you have for surround on your computer, and the order it is expecting to receive these channels in. I don't have 5.1 hooked up to my computer...just to my receiver, so I can't comment on how that is organized or changed, but that is where I would look. I'm assuming there is some software interface for your speakers?

In my suite, I use Avid and my setup works, with a small adjustment out of Avid.

Avid outputs 6 channels, -> SDI-> to an hdmi convertor-> and into a 5.1 receiver. I always set my timeline to L,R,C,LFE,LS,RS, as well as my Avid output to the same, and then play it back, and usually C and LFE are reversed...so for playback only, I swap those two on my audio output patch. (this affects monitoring...not file output)

For the broadcaster output, they receive the typical L,R,C,LFE,LS,RS (or what ever their specs call for)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Feb 9, 2017 at 3:14:51 pm

Thanks very much for your thoughts, Glenn.

Return to posts index

Myeongsoo Seon
on Feb 25, 2017 at 4:31:49 pm

How are you,

Do you know about STA 3-D surround system?

When Dolby Atmos is single layer surround system, Sonictier STA from Korea is multi layer surround system.
It takes 3 to 5 days to edit 3-D surround for a movie. we have a original technology of UHD 3-D surround sound.

If you interested in our STA 3-D surround sound software, please do not hesitate to contact me, heinrich.seon@gmail.com.

Thank you

Heinrich Myeongsoo Seon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]