FORUMS: list search recent posts

Imac configuration for AMA Linked footage

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Tremblay
Imac configuration for AMA Linked footage
on Feb 2, 2017 at 10:29:34 pm

Hello, I need to scout out an edit build for a project and I was wondering if this iMac config would be sufficient for our workflow, on the latest version of Avid:

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display

4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
32GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - four 8GB
256GB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MK482LL/A&step=config#

Material is AVC-Intra (100 bit), from P2 media, linked as AMA. Clips are synced with imported audio, no groups. Edits are simple 3 minute long sequences. Grading is done in Resolve (I don't know if roundtripping will be necessary yet.)

Is that setup sufficient for real-time playback, or should I go with a similarly specced Mac Pro?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Imac configuration for AMA Linked footage
on Feb 3, 2017 at 2:30:44 am

It is going to come down to drive speed and connection.

That box should be fine for running Avid, ama linking becomes as much about your drive as the actual computer.

How much raw footage are you working with on each segment?

If you had to transcode to 175, would that kill you? (always a good question to ask yourself)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Jason Tremblay
on Feb 3, 2017 at 3:57:52 pm

Hello,

The average shoot length for each capsule is 75 mins (let's overshoot to 90 mins). There will be about 160 of them.

So that would be about 18TB at 175, when all is said and done. Which is about double with the original footage.

I may have access to a server connected through Gigabit ethernet. Since they usually work in a Premiere environment, it's not really configured for Avid, and I don't know their setup enough to see if we can make it work in regards to media management (there would probably be an assistant syncing and importing stuff while the editor works).

Or else the house may be willing to shell some cash for a small RAID array. (A 4-drive tower configured as RAID5 should be ample enough.)

Mainly, I'm trying to keep this workflow simple since they don't have anyone with Avid experience.

Thanks a lot for your response, it means a lot.

Jason

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 4, 2017 at 4:30:25 pm

Get yourself a good thunderbolt array, or something similar.

I think with P2 you can consolidate the clips (haven't worked with P2 for quite awhile). If so this will basically copy the media into an Avid friendly folder structure, and you should be good to go.

Space wise, the consolidate process will be the same as the original files.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]