FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import footage

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maks Hilbert
Import footage
on Jan 4, 2017 at 5:24:19 am

Hi,

I've a probably trivial question which however already took quite a bit of my time, maybe you can help here.

How can i import H264 footage in a resolution of 800x600? The clip later should also have this resolution.

It seems, that natively the import function only accepts dnxhd, which doesn't support 800x600, as far as i get this.

Thanks,

Maks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Import footage
on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:39:47 am

What version of Avid MC? MC 8 allows for customizable frame sizes, and later .versions allow to keep the native resolution of the clip, even though the project might be a set size.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Maks Hilbert
on Jan 4, 2017 at 7:50:00 am

Thanks for your reply, Shane.

i am using version 8. It's good to know, that i can use a custom resolution. But getting back to my original question, how do I import 800x600 footage?

best regards,

Maks

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 4, 2017 at 10:08:33 am

Set up an 800x600 project. AMA link to media. Transcode selection the option to bake in frameflex. Use the new DNxHR resolution

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Maks Hilbert
on Jan 4, 2017 at 10:40:39 am

Thanks, I've tried to link to the MP4 file instead of importing, but Media composer only shows a green screen and not the actual video. I've used Premiere before, there you only drag and drop the video from explorer to time line and it's working fine. So, I think the file should be okay.

"Transcode selection the option to bake in frameflex. Use the new DNxHR resolution" I don't understand what you mean here, can you explain?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:14:17 pm

Premiere is not Avid, Avid is not Premiere. Don't do things the way you do in one, in the other.

When you link, manually select the QUICKTIME AMA plugin. If you STILL can't see it, then you might need to import. And in the import options, choose the DO NOT RESIZE SMALLER IMAGES. This will keep the image the same size, but surround it with black so that it is 1920x1080 media. Then you can resize from there.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Maks Hilbert
on Jan 4, 2017 at 7:44:04 pm

I've tried choosing Quicktime as pluging for linking with the same result. The linked video is just green. The same with the import function. The video appears also completely green when imported.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 4, 2017 at 8:16:17 pm

What codec is this? It might not be a codec the computer can see. If Adobe can, then import there and export as DNxHD or something.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Maks Hilbert
on Jan 5, 2017 at 2:14:38 am

It's a H264 MP4, i think everything (but obviously Avid) can play this, including windows media player.

Okay, this is working:

1. Create a new premiere project with a resolution that is supported in DNxHD (960x720)
2. Import 800x600 MP4 into premiere project and render as 960x720 to H264 MP4
3. Use ffmpeg to convert to DNxHD
4. Link file in Avid and use FrameFlex to crop to 800x600

...i am not totally happy with the workflow. I'll have to treat a number of files, maybe I'll just stick to Premiere. However, happy to hear suggestions to get this a little more efficient.

Thanks again,

Maks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]