FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving renders (Precomputes) between projects. (Moving between ISIS servers as well)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conan Stott
Moving renders (Precomputes) between projects. (Moving between ISIS servers as well)
on Dec 18, 2016 at 8:52:11 am

Hi there

Tomorrow I am going to be checking over a recently moved project. Basically all project and media files have been moved from one Avid ISIS setup in one country, to a new Avid ISIS setup in another country. Hoping that all of the media will be linked and fine as the file paths should be identical but I have one worry and that is concerning pre-computes.

The worry is that the pre=compute folders are named specifically for the Avid systems they came from. e.g "Avid1countryX" and "Avid2countryX". They will now need to be accessed by a new system "Avid1countryY". Apparently this caused an issue the last time this was done but no-one can remember how it was solved. I am hoping that someone will be able to shed some light on this?

Another possible issue... the folder structures will be identical but I wonder if the drives that the media is on will be named differently and if this will cause an issue. If so, is it possible to either point Avid to another drive or re-name the ISIS drives to match?

Thanks

Conan

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Moving renders (Precomputes) between projects. (Moving between ISIS servers as well)
on Dec 18, 2016 at 3:32:42 pm

As long as you use the proper Avid media drive directory structure, Media Composer will scan all media databases on startup. Unlike Premiere or FCP, the original drive names and directory names dont really matter for Avid managed media. It simply looks for media databases on all attached drives within Avid MediaFiles/MXF/Folder Name. Avid MediaFiles must be at the root level of the drive. The directories that are named for their former locations (and their respective media databases) should be read. Avid will no longer write new media to them or rebuild media databases in them, however. The new Avid system will write media only to directories that use its own default names ("1" on a standalone system, "Computer Name.01" or something similar on a Unity/ISIS system)

If for whatever reason they are not automatically read (missing or corrupt media databases, usually) simply render one effect on the new system...this will create a new directory for your render files (assuming you set that up in your Media Creation settings)...then move the existing precomputes to that directory. The system should detect new media in that folder and begin indexing it. As an aside, I've never actually seen anyone separate precomputes out to its own drive like that. Most people just have them in the same directory as the media and manage them via Media Tool.

This only applies to Avid managed media....Linked aka AMA media has its own way of doing things and it varies a bit in robustness, depending on which version of MC you are using.

Return to posts index

Conan Stott
Re: Moving renders (Precomputes) between projects. (Moving between ISIS servers as well)
on Dec 19, 2016 at 4:11:51 am

Thanks heaps for this. Your explanation of how Avid sees media actually helped me out a lot today :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]