FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid copying instead of Consolidating

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Suri
Avid copying instead of Consolidating
on Dec 16, 2016 at 8:32:24 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to send an AAF to our colorist with consolidated media at full resolution, but Avid will only copy the media instead of consolidating it.

The AAF contains under a minute's worth of footage all taken from a single shot so I don't want to send the full 12 minutes shot (5GB) if I don't have to.

Some things of note, the original media is a Sony XDCAM MFX file. Not sure if AVID is misreading it as Avid Media, causing the issue. Also, the clip's resolution matches the project settings, so maybe it's worth doing a straight export instead?

Thanks,

All the best,

Nate

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid copying instead of Consolidating
on Dec 16, 2016 at 10:11:24 pm

Did you try consolidating first to a target drive in the bin, then just export an AAF "link to"?

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 17, 2016 at 1:45:06 am

Is this AMA linked footage? Avid can only consolidate if it's Avid media. If it's camera originals that are AMA linked to, even if MXF, Avid cannot CONSOLIDATE...only copy

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nate Suri
on Dec 19, 2016 at 4:21:24 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone.

If Avid cannot consolidate onlined (AMA) media, then what's another way of getting media to a colorist without sending entire camera files?

It sounds like the final delivery to our post house will be a media managed AAF at DNxHD 175X, so maybe getting the original camera file to the colorist is overkill?

Thanks again for any insight.

Best,

Nate

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 19, 2016 at 5:36:01 pm

What is the colorist using to grade? What do they want? Don't ask US what they want. I'm a colorist, and I really like it when I and editorial communicate as to my needs.

What would I want? Depends on the type of project. Is is a scripted show or high end commercial with RED or ALEXA or high end camera footage? Then I'd want all the camera masters so I could link to them and get the best quality possible. Documentary, heck...even for a scripted show on TV that delivers 1080, the codec you mentioned...then having someone conform the cut , and then transcode the sequence, with handles, to like DNxHD 220x or 175x (10 bit formats) might work for me.

But that's me. ASK THEM.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nate Suri
on Dec 19, 2016 at 5:40:49 pm

Thanks again, Shane. Good point. I'll just start up a communication with them.

Just trying to brush up on what's typical so I don't go in blind.

All the best,

Nate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]