FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video on Premiere is good, but on Avid it's darker and unsharp - how can i solve it?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ploom pi
Video on Premiere is good, but on Avid it's darker and unsharp - how can i solve it?
on Dec 5, 2016 at 10:11:43 pm

I used the same video on Avid Media Composer 8.4.5 and Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017.

The video looks sharp and clear on Premiere but dark and unsharp on Avid. Does anyone knows how can that be solved?

thank you.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Video on Premiere is good, but on Avid it's darker and unsharp - how can i solve it?
on Dec 6, 2016 at 1:34:22 am

Not sure about Premiere...but the Avid interface...the SOURCE and RECORD monitors...aren't accurate. They aren't designed to be. They are there to allow you to see what you are doing. Do not judge the quality of the image on those monitors...only an external one connected via an IO device.

That being said, is your sequence half/yellow half/green in the lower left? Click on it to make it full green. That's the QUALITY setting.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

ploom pi
Re: Video on Premiere is good, but on Avid it's darker and unsharp - how can i solve it?
on Dec 6, 2016 at 12:41:05 pm

Thank you for your answer, yes, i've done all you said and the problem is not only on moniter but also on the outcome video on different monitors, i'm having hard time to find what am i missing in order to get a white as a perfect white ☹

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 6, 2016 at 5:13:38 pm

What are you rendering to out of the apps? meaning, are you exporting a DNxHD Quicktime? Or H.264? H.264 DIRECTLY out of Avid isn't good. Avid is bad at making a good quality H.264 directly. So you need to export a DNxHD file, and encode that with a third party encoder, like Media encoder, or Compressor or Squeeze

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 6, 2016 at 8:39:15 pm

adobe media encoder has configure settings for dnxhd for RGB or video levels. that is most likely your issue. 0-255 vs 16-235.

Return to posts index

ploom pi
on Dec 6, 2016 at 9:57:47 pm

Chris Wright - i didn't get what do you mean, as avid is not adobe's... and after encoding in the media encoder - the problem isn't solved, or tell me what to choose on the encdoer... thank you.

Return to posts index

ploom pi
on Dec 6, 2016 at 9:55:37 pm

The export is Quicktime movie > mov > same as source, i don't know how to export in another way, or how to export DNxHD - i don't see this kind of option :\ but the color is not right even before exporting, so i'm not sure that's the issue. I think it has something to do with color levels 16-235, like the 0-16 is missing... just can't figure out where my settings are wrong, as i'm not a big colors and numbers guy.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 7, 2016 at 1:34:50 am

"color is not right even before exporting"
are you editing in avid and then exporting a full render or XML? how can the color be wrong in avid if you're color correcting in avid?
What is your workflow?

Return to posts index

ploom pi
on Dec 8, 2016 at 1:29:40 pm

I'm sorry for confusing you all, i think my import was wrong, or maybe i shouldn't import at all and just use link ama? I'm used to an old way of editing which might be wrong, so trying to figure things out...

I used to import all videos as dnxhd 45 and in the end batch import them all to MXF 1:1 on a previous Avid 5 version i had on my old PC (Win 7 32bit),that was my best settings back then, but now with my new PC (Win 10 64bit) and new Avid version, it seems wrong or maybe i'm doing all the import and stuff in the wrong way.

What would be the best settings?
I'm working on mov and mp4 files in h264 codec, usually HD 1080p.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 8, 2016 at 7:51:44 pm

Avid is probably interpreting the footage wrong during your import.

Go to your import options, and change the switch that says "keep legal" or "change to full range"
How ever you have it set is probably wrong.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Adam Nielsen
on Dec 10, 2016 at 1:56:04 am

Best not "import" footage ever in avid. You want to link to ama and transcode footage to desired resolution. DNx145 for 59.94 1920x1080 footage and DNx115 for 23.98 1920x1080.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 10, 2016 at 7:13:41 pm

yes, but there are times where import is necessary. The problem at hand isn't so much a workflow, as a settings issue.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Santiago Escudero
on Jan 15, 2017 at 4:17:30 pm

I think is something about the color space. Probably Premiere use RGB but Avid is in YCbCr.709, try to change color space to RGB.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]