FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K camera proxies, linking workflow question - curious

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Barrow
4K camera proxies, linking workflow question - curious
on Dec 2, 2016 at 1:16:13 pm

I am being given about 12 TB of 4k footage with accompanying camera proxies. Director is thrilled with applied LUT done in testing with minimal adjustments inside MC for final output. Using Resolve would be rare if at all.

Why bother with the camera proxies at all? What is the purpose of camera proxies if I am not able to edit while linked to proxies (which I understand editing "linked" is not recommended) wouldn't I link to 4K and have MC create proxies? Perhaps camera proxies are for use in PPro?

I don't believe it matters in the workflow question but the footage is actually UHD - 3840x2160 shot on a Canon C300 MII.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: 4K camera proxies, linking workflow question - curious
on Dec 2, 2016 at 1:35:08 pm

In camera proxies are generated to save time in post rather than having to generate then again in the NLE. I am assuming that the proxies have the same LUT as the masters baked in?

Editing with proxies in general regardless of how they were made is about performance. Linking to a proxy has a better chance at performance than linking to the 4K UHD version. But that also depends on what codec and date rate the proxies have been created at.

You are not forced to work one way or the other -if you want to link to the 4K UHD, do so, try and see if editing works. If it does, good. If not, you can transcode from there.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 2, 2016 at 1:46:52 pm

Yes, the camera proxies have the same LUT baked in - good point to use those rather than linking to HiRez, adding LUT and baking in when creating MC proxies! I tried playing linked HiRez and isn't bad when I'm alone but won't work well when this client is in the room, especially when I have a 3 cam multi-group.

Would the best plan be to link to camera proxies and if I have playback issues then create MC Lo-Rez for offline? Would I then be able to relink to originals per sequence for finals?

Thanks Michael!

Ricky

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 2, 2016 at 1:51:41 pm

Assuming the file name for the proxies are the same, or have a _extension name on them should allow you to relink to selected when you are done, where the "relink to selected" are your camera masters. If doing multicam, commit multicam edits before relinking. Link to both the proxy and the camera master and look at the Source File column and report back what you see.

What codec and data rate for the proxies? I would try a quick test in a multicam setup to ensure it plays as multicam. Avid's native codecs have better performance, so you might want to test that first.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 2, 2016 at 2:00:11 pm

File names do match. Files are in contents\clips folder, 1920x1080 .MXF files, H264 MPEG 4 AVC (part 10)

I should have thought about testing - I do have the luxury of testing linked groups as well as creating MC Lo-Rez and relinking as project editing will not begin until January. I am organizing now as DIT for the shoot.

Thank you!

Ricky

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]