FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to rez-up sequence coming from many sources

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Coote
Best way to rez-up sequence coming from many sources
on Dec 1, 2016 at 1:52:33 am

F55 UHD Footage was originally AMA'd and transcoded to DNX36 clips for offine in 1080p.
Source footage comes from many Sata drives - transcoded lo-rez clips are on a RAID.
In the old days, we would decompose the sequence and batch capture from tape.
What is the best way to rez-up the sequence to UHD when the footage comes from multiple Sata drives?
On the latest version of MC on Mac.

Thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best way to rez-up sequence coming from many sources
on Dec 1, 2016 at 5:38:50 pm

Can you mount only one, or a few at a time? It would be best if you can mount all of them, but I know that often that isn't possible. You might have to uprez in chunks...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Coote
on Dec 1, 2016 at 6:05:11 pm

We're talking about dozens of source drives potentially, so no way to mount them all at the same time.
I'm not sure how this works with source media on drives...would you decompose the sequence and then
point it to each source file individually in batch-recapture? Is there a way to automate more of the process?
I'm used to the Avid asking for each tape - you put it in - it does it's thing - and then on to the next tape.
I've never had to do it with media on Sata drives. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Dec 8, 2016 at 12:00:11 am

I imagine you could follow the old tape workflow, where one drive equals one tape.
Mount the first drive. Have a bin open with that drive's media linked. Select all those clips.
Make a copy of your Sequence, then select that Sequence and Relink it to those linked Master Clips; select Consolidate and tick the box 'Consolidate only linked media' (Deselect 'Create new sequence')
I expect that will only Consolidate media off drive one. Then you'll need to unmount it, mount a drive two, link to the media, etc.
Maybe test my theory. Or hopefully others will chime in if it's wrong.
And longer term, can you consider having a very large drive (or raid) that you can copy all your disk camera files to, for this purpose?
Neil.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 8, 2016 at 8:02:48 pm

Ya the workflow is really designed to have all the clips online at once. Neils idea should work, but could be quite the pain in the butt.

How much total footage are you talking about?

Might be worth a couple of hundred bucks to buy a couple of 4 tb drives to put all the media to.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Chris Coote
on Dec 8, 2016 at 8:24:50 pm

Lots and lots of source drives - about 2 months of shooting just about every day. It's just not do-able to have that much UHD original footage on-line at the same time. Just looking for the most painless way to rez-up...
Thanks for your suggestions.

Return to posts index

Jon Hensen
on Jan 3, 2017 at 11:14:43 pm

AMA link to source footage. Have the bins with the source open. Relink sequence (see below to my UPRES relink setting for F55. Hint* Maybe check AMA clip color box so you can see what's relinking.) Then transcode sequence checking "Transcode only AMA". Repeat with next round of drives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]