FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding for MC via Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david grantham
Transcoding for MC via Premiere Pro
on Nov 29, 2016 at 7:06:11 pm

My little B camera is a sony nex-6, and it creates spanned clips MC can't deal with. (AVID tech support haven't been able to resolve it.)
So I am loading into an old installation of Premiere Pro to transcode, but Premiere's DNxHD settings are acting up. The quicktime exporter won't register 1080p/23.976 - which is my project's format - and gives me 1080i/29.97 instead. I imagine that if I go for this time-consuming fps translation back and forth, it will degrade the image, but maybe it's the simplest thing to do.
Any suggested work-arounds welcome.

System Specs: MC 6.5.4
HP Z400, 6GB, Nvida Quadro 2000,ATTO express SAS R680 RAID Adapter, Atto Media00 SCSI Disk Device, Matrox MXO2 Mini; HPZR2240w & HPZR2440w

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Transcoding for MC via Premiere Pro
on Nov 29, 2016 at 7:17:05 pm

Try Resolve. Download it (it's free) and use it to convert the footage directly to the Avid media format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Nov 29, 2016 at 7:26:03 pm

I might try that Shane if I have to, but it's a hassle. Resolve and MC will not run with the same display card driver on my AVID-configured workstation. Switching between them requires changing the driver back and forth. (I grade with Baselight as a plug-in.) I am hoping for another solution.

HP Z400, 6GB, Nvida Quadro 2000,ATTO express SAS R680 RAID Adapter, Atto Media00 SCSI Disk Device, Matrox MXO2 Mini; HPZR2240w & HPZR2440w

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 30, 2016 at 9:16:02 am

MC 6.5 is an old version. Is it worth upgrading if a newer version gives support?
Orherwise you are jumping through lots of inage degrading hoops.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Nov 30, 2016 at 4:16:51 pm

"Is it worth upgrading if a newer version gives support?"

Thanks Pat, but that's a big "if": The issue wasn't on AVID support's radar until I brought it up and it took them quite a while to come to terms with it. The little mirrorless Sony NEX6 is a consumer grade camera with an apparently idiosyncratic spanning protocol I doubt they'd work to accommodate. Moreover, the upgrade would require a new computer. (As would - disappointingly - any upgrade past the 6.0 which came with this computer from AVID.) And I don't like to upgrade in the middle of a project.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 30, 2016 at 6:42:14 pm

If you can get a copy of a spanned media aet to me I could test on v8.6

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Nov 30, 2016 at 7:21:03 pm

That is kind thanks, Pat, but even if 8.6 works, I couldn't take advantage of that without upgrading to a point where I would be retiring this little camera from this purpose anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]