FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project Suggestions for Anamorphic

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reema Kaur
Project Suggestions for Anamorphic
on Nov 25, 2016 at 2:54:05 pm

Hello

I am about to start the edit of my final diploma film at the institute for which I have few queries.

The film has been shot on 35mm Film on Anamorphic format (2.35:1). There are also some portions shot on spherical lenses on 1.33 film gate.

The film has been scanned to 2K 10bit DPX (2048 x 1536) - Full Aperture. I will convert the DPX in resolve to DNXHD format.

What should be the project settings on Avid Media Composer 8.4 keeping in mind that 80 percent of the film is in anamorphic format? Also, De-squeeze or setting up of pixel aspect ratio should be done in Resolve or AVID.

Is there a workflow where I can skip resolve completely and edit the project in MC.

Gate used in both the formats is 1.33:1 and the picture has been scanned to full gate in both the cases i.e 2048 x 1536.

The film has to be finished to 2K DCP - 2048x858 SCOPE.

Thank You.

Reema Kaur
Class of 2011,
Editing,
FTII,
India

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Project Suggestions for Anamorphic
on Nov 25, 2016 at 3:34:03 pm

2048x858 is a 2.39:1. so you will need to keep that in mind for both of your sources that are not that aspect ratio. If you want to do everything in Media Composer, you can. Assuming that you are in a more recent version of Media Composer, create the DCI project directly to start and work from there. AMA link to the sources and you will have some room on the 2048x1536 material to tilt and scan if needed.

You may have some performance issues depending on your overall setup. If so, you can transcode to DNxHR preserving your original sources. It will either be used as a proxy for offline, then relink back to your masters for finishing or to a DNxHR SQ minimum or the higher 444 RGB. How you color correct and monitor for DCP in MC may be more challenging that within in MC.

Michael

Return to posts index

Reema Kaur
on Nov 28, 2016 at 4:08:37 am

Thank you Michael for the suggestions. Shall try and figure out if it works overall in MC. Also if the transcoding needs to be done (keeping in mind that the output is anamorphic), how should I desqueeze in Resolve?

Reema Kaur
Class of 2011,
Editing,
FTII,
India

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 29, 2016 at 3:38:06 am

Refer to the Blackmagic User Manual which is very well written and search for PAR (pixel aspect ratio) and anamorphic. You will see reference to clip attributes as seen in this screenshot to deal with your anamorphic material in Resolve.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]