FORUMS: list search recent posts

UHD to 1080p Project Workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Barrow
UHD to 1080p Project Workflow
on Nov 17, 2016 at 1:23:12 pm

We are shooting UHD-3840 x 2160 / 23.976 (23.98) on rented Canon 300 Mark II cameras to see if we want to purchase these next year. One reason to shoot UHD is to gain an advantage in editing by being able to use Frame Flex for re-framing; avoidng jump cuts, the feel that we had more cameras than we did, etc.

Should I begin this process in a 1080p project, link and use Frame Flex to edit then transcode the sequences?

Should I begin in a UHD project, link or transcode and from there export as 1080?

This project footage will be used throughout the entire year of 2017 and we have tons of media storage and can work with online/hirez media - we will not be working in offline mode. We are setting cameras and testing before hand to use LUT and only in rare instances would we anticipate the need to roundtrip to Resolve if at all.

We have MC 8.6.4 on both Windows (12 GB RAM) 4 GB Fibre and MAC (32 GB RAM) 10 GB Ethernet attached to Facilis TerraBlock.

This UHD is a first for us and I would like to avoid as many issues as possible and do this in the best way possible. We are casting today for a 3 day shoot in two weeks.

Thank you!

Ricky

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: UHD to 1080p Project Workflow
on Nov 17, 2016 at 2:40:09 pm

Start with a 1080p project. Link and transcode the media to DNxHR and maintain the frame size. MC 8.6 allows you to do that. That way, you transcode the footage to Avid media, and maintain the dimensions so you can use Frame Flex to push into the footage.

You will need a ton of storage...more than you might think. 4K takes up a LOT of space.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]