Cutting with AMA files in Media Composer 8.6.3

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ellen Goldwasser
Cutting with AMA files in Media Composer 8.6.3
on Nov 15, 2016 at 10:37:55 pm

Hello Editors,

Thank you for your help!

I'm working on a project currently that was set up as linking to AMA files. When editing, the avid slows down when opening bins and closing bins. We are just editing a sequence that will be around 5-7 minutes. I know that it's best to cut with transcoded clips, but alas, the project was set up that way and will be transcoded later. We have renamed the AMA Management Folder after periodical linking. And the AMA files are over 3 drives. There are AVCHD files and .mov files.

How fast should our external drives be? And are there any other limitations? Our Mac is OS X 10.10.3/ Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7/ Memory 32 G 1600 MHz DDR3. Using Media Composer 8.6.3.4We have about 80-100 hours of footage. Is it wiser to stop the edit and transcode? We are planning to later transcode to DNx115 for finishing- Will this be a good format for broadcast? Later we will be cutting an hour to an hour and a half show.

Thank you!
EG

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Cutting with AMA files in Media Composer 8.6.3
on Nov 15, 2016 at 10:43:42 pm

AVCHD...that's an H.264 variant. And MOV...that's just a container type. What codec is that other footage? MOV can be DNxHD, ProRes, H.264, Sorenson 3..on and on.

Native editing of AVCHD and H.264 isn't recommended on Avid. In fact, if you do it in Premiere, it's required that you have a LOT of RAM, and a really good GPU, as decoding AVCHD and H.264 on the fly is very intensive, it's a highly complex format. Avid isn't really equipped to deal with that format natively, no matter how much RAM or how good of A GPU, it just doesn't leverage that as much as other apps do. For AVCHD and H.264, it's always highly recommended that you transcode the footage, if you want a smooth editing experience.

Sorry

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ellen Goldwasser
on Nov 15, 2016 at 11:05:37 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks so very much for your response!

The .MOV files are H.264.

One more question. If we end up transcoding the footage - Do you know a range of how long it would take to transcode, say 40 hours? And also is DNx115 ok to cut with that and then take it to finishing. We are doing simple color correcting.

Thank you!

Ellen

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2016 at 12:13:12 am

How long it takes all depends on how powerful your computer is. Transcode a clip...note how long that took, and then multiply that time by how much total footage you have. it should be less than real time, if you have a more current computer. but the machine I have at work and the one I have at home are pretty different, so they would take different amounts of time. Can't really guess that on my end.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ellen Goldwasser
on Nov 16, 2016 at 1:36:36 am

Thanks so very much, Shayne.

We are planning to transcode to DNx115. Can the mxf files be on the same drive as the AMA linked files? And work flow wise, once the transcoding is finished from a bin, should we create a separate bin to move the AMA files to? Or should they be deleted? I would like to keep them in case we run into glitches with our transcoded files and have to transcode again.

Finally, I just wanted to confirm that transcoding to 115 is good to go for finishing. We are doing a very simple color correction. Currently, we're cutting a long trailer and then will be cutting an hour doc from the media.

Thank you!
Ellen

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2016 at 8:08:42 am

[Ellen Goldwasser] " Can the mxf files be on the same drive as the AMA linked files?"

Only if you have the camera masters archived to another drive. If these ARE your camera masters, they should be on a separate drive from your media.

[Ellen Goldwasser] "And work flow wise, once the transcoding is finished from a bin, should we create a separate bin to move the AMA files to?"

No...keep the AMA files in those bins, call them AMA BIN, and put the transcoded files in new bins.

[Ellen Goldwasser] "Or should they be deleted?"

NEVER DELETE! If you ever need to relink to them to re-transcode....you need these links.

[Ellen Goldwasser] "I would like to keep them in case we run into glitches with our transcoded files and have to transcode again. "

Yes, exactly

[Ellen Goldwasser] "Finally, I just wanted to confirm that transcoding to 115 is good to go for finishing."

It's an OK format. I know many broadcast shows that use it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]