FORUMS: list search recent posts

Same scene has different 30df durations in different timelines (Timing for television)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anisha Acharya
Same scene has different 30df durations in different timelines (Timing for television)
on Nov 8, 2016 at 7:51:05 pm

Editing in 23.976fps in Avid but timing in 30DF for television. Measuring in-out 30DF duration in the Timecode window in Avid.

Issue: My act sequence containing 5 scenes has a 30DF duration of 5;50;14 when measured independently. The same sequence when cut into a longer sequence (I'll call this the master sequence) with other acts shows an in-out 30DF duration of 5;50;13. The act sequence is cut in around 17 min in the master sequence. What is interesting is that the next act in the master timeline shows the same duration as it's individual sequence.

Questions:
1. What is the logic for this inconsistency?
2. Would the 30DF count be affected by whether I use filler or black media in the sequence?
3. How can I be more accurate with my 30DF timing if the show is meant to be exactly 41:30?

Thank you for your time!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Same scene has different 30df durations in different timelines (Timing for television)
on Nov 8, 2016 at 8:34:47 pm

Drop frame timecode...1 frame is dropped every minute, except every 10th minute. When you have all the acts separate, they don't have ALL the dropped frames in the code until you assemble the whole show. Which is why you cannot get accurate timing until you lay out the whole show, and then make adjustments for the few frames you will lose. To be accurate, you need to lay out the whole show in one sequence.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Anisha Acharya
Re: Same scene has different 30df durations in different timelines (Timing for television)
on Nov 8, 2016 at 9:33:34 pm

Makes sense. Thank you so much Shane!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 9, 2016 at 9:34:18 am

Always better to work in NDF until right at the end and if DF needed convert then.
In NDF your duration isn't accurate but its easier to do the calculation or work out what the NDF duration for actual runtime needs to be and work to that.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]