FORUMS: list search recent posts

DNX-HR codec and Quicktime Issue

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Buday
DNX-HR codec and Quicktime Issue
on Nov 2, 2016 at 10:46:49 pm

I've finished a show at UHD rez/23.98 using the DNX-HR codec (Avid v8.6.4 for Mac / 10.11.5 (15F34)). The timeline clips consist of a wide variety of source material, from 4K to 720P. Everything has been rendered on the timeline to DNX-HR.

My process to get o other formats is as follows:

a) Output QT file from AVID using SAME AS SOURCE (DNX-HR)
b) Take QT file from AVID and using AMC (Adobe Media Encoder, latest CC version), encode to desired format (MP4, DCP, whatever . . )

My issue is this:

The QT looks fine (though with the typical AVID black level change). But after processing thru AMC to say, MP4 - some clips in the SEQ don't encode correctly, instead they appear filling the screen with an ORANGE color.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

- Michael Buday

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: DNX-HR codec and Quicktime Issue
on Nov 3, 2016 at 2:59:23 am

I stay away from anything wrapped QuickTime (.mov) as it is not the codec that causes level/gamma issues, but the wrapper. I have tried eliminating any use of QuickTime whenever possible and use OP1a exports. See my blog for reasons why:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=278

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Buday
on Nov 3, 2016 at 4:33:27 am

Hi Michael,

THANK YOU!! This makes a ton of sense and in my tests it worked beautifully. I only wish I inquired sooner as I've been using the AVID > QT > "Desired format" method for a very long time.

Question:

My sequence contains a TON of AMA referenced 4K material from Sony A7sii cameras. I offlined at 1080P/23.98, all media transcoded to DNX-LB. I then imported the sequence into a new UHD project setup for DNX-HQX, consolidated the timeline and imported all the AMA references to link up to the original media.

Of course, the timeline won't play 4K XAVC-S AMA media without slowing wayyyy down, so I rendered the entire sequence so I could play it to eval the uprez.

Using your AMA OP1a export, If I export to the same codec the sequence has been rendered to, does it re-render again before exporting? Or does it reference the "already" rendered material?

Thanks again - extremely helpful.

- Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 3, 2016 at 1:20:57 pm

That's a good question and one I do not know the answer to as to what exactly goes on under the hood. From a quality perspective, the DNx codecs can go many generations before showing any type of decompress/recompress artifacts. From a time perspective, it would go faster if it did not have to decompress/recompress, but in my tests it is still doing whatever faster than any other export method when you combine all the steps needed to do the other export types.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]