FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chopping 52 min. documentary

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vasja Mihelcic
Chopping 52 min. documentary
on Oct 31, 2016 at 9:14:04 pm

Dear colleagues,

Just checking before I proceed with chopping the 52 min. documentary made with Canon 5D mkIII, and some Gopro hero 4 footage: 1080p 25fps. I will be editing in MC7. I intend to transcode all the H.264(MP4) files in to DNxHD 120 for better handling(AMA link). I have read some problems with colour correction appear when exporting Apple ProRes HQ so I intend to do video mixdown when I am finished with colour correction and lay it on the timeline as Apple ProRes HQ and then export it.

DELIVERY METODE is ProRes HQ, 184 Mbps, VBR 4:2:2 I frame only.

When I finish editing, should I transcode DNxHD 120 to DNxHD 185 and than export it as Apple ProRes HQ?Or direct DNxHD 120 to Apple ProRes HQ meets the requirements for delivery?Is there a better codec for DSLR footage DNxHD?

If I am totally wrong with my method please suggest a better way... will owe you one.

Any other suggestion or tips will be rewarded with link to the trailer.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Chopping 52 min. documentary
on Oct 31, 2016 at 10:25:40 pm

[Vasja Mihelcic] "When I finish editing, should I transcode DNxHD 120 to DNxHD 185 and than export it as Apple ProRes HQ?"

Yes. Because that's more comparable. Might want to see about 185x, as that is a 10 bit codec, where just plain 185 is 8-bit. Handles color correction better as 10-bit vs 8-bit. So AMA link and transcode only the footage used in the sequence to 185x, and then color correct...then mix down and output.

[Vasja Mihelcic] "Is there a better codec for DSLR footage DNxHD?"

No, DNxHD is pretty good. It's a common, high end finishing codec for broadcast. And since H.264 is 8-bit, anything like 1:1 or Uncompressed is pointless.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 1, 2016 at 8:05:59 am

Don't transcode dnx120 to dnx 185 its pointless.
Either AMA the h264 files and transcide to dnx185x (the 10 bit codec will improve grading precision)
Or AMA the h264. Transcode to dnx120 for offline. Relink final sequence to H264 sources then transcode to dnx185x.
Up rezing 120 to 185 just increases file size for no quality gain.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Nov 1, 2016 at 7:22:01 pm

Dear Pat,

That is some serious "lab" work ahead of me.

Thx for the advice...I am not such a H.264 fan.

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Nov 8, 2016 at 1:27:16 pm

Hay Pat and Shane

When I transcode the project from dnx 184 to ProRes HQ my bitrate is only 178 and not 184. If I export avid based file it is 184 Mbps. Information I get with InfoMedia. Am I making a mistake? The client demand ProRes HQ 1080, 25 fps 184 VBR
Can get the bitrate needed with ProRes HQ

Thanks for any info about that.

VM

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Nov 1, 2016 at 7:22:52 pm

Thank you very much for assisting me.

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Nov 3, 2016 at 2:25:53 pm

Just quick reminder...When exporting I choose: same as source ProRes HQ. I mean video mixdown from dnx 185 to Prores HQ and then export as the delivery methode so I don't have colore problem.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 8, 2016 at 1:32:38 pm

Avid DNx codecs are fixed datarate so the actual datarate is what it is.
Prores however is a variable datarate so if the content isn't demanding enough to use the full datarate the datarate is lowered. You can't force Prores to use all the datarate. If you have Prores HQ then that's what it is.

Pat Horridge
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Nov 8, 2016 at 6:49:01 pm

Thank you Pat for your time.

I will do another export same as source and ProRes HQ to see the difference in bit rate. Did some additional correction and applied safe colour limiter. Now all the colours are in legal rights.

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Nov 8, 2016 at 9:28:00 pm

I checked the video with pro media tool video analyzer. And I got errors regarding the video. Avid colour correction shows everything in legal rights. Broadcast safe 16-235. No blacks, whites, luma...issues. But in the analyser everything off the charts...
I exported same as source ProRes HQ 1080 25 fps 182 Bitrate.

Any idea?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 8, 2016 at 10:06:07 pm

Was the export set to full range levels or studio levels?
ProRes does odd things re levels....

Pat Horridge
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Nov 8, 2016 at 10:50:57 pm

Export same as source(ProRes HQ)...Colour level 601/709

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Nov 9, 2016 at 12:48:58 pm

Is there a trick why the avid colour correction shows all the values for safe broadcast are in range but when exporting same as source ProRes HQ 1080 25 fps and checking the video with analyser I get info of whites to high, blacks to low for values like 236, 238 and blacks 14,13. Any idea.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 9, 2016 at 1:41:48 pm

Did you render the safe colour effect or do a video mixdown before export?

Pat Horridge
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Nov 9, 2016 at 5:08:56 pm

I render safe colour effect with the clips I colour corrected. Then I did a video mix down, and exported as source.
There has to be a catch.

Just for the clarification:
Different DSLR footage transcoded to dnx 120 for work in media composer. When editing done transcoded to dnx185 colour corrected and transcoded to prores HQ checked again for colour levels and exported as source.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 9, 2016 at 6:16:42 pm

And if you AMA link back into MC what do the levels look like?
That workflow is a std one for prores outputs and should work fine.

Pat Horridge
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Nov 9, 2016 at 6:30:26 pm

O.K I will export now the ProRes HQ and not same as source. I have safe colour limiter on all the colours correspond to legal broadcast levels. No gama correction and should look the same or at least in safe legal levels.
Should I transcode to 10bit prores hq will the colours be more accurate -stable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]