FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC video levels

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Barrow
Avid MC video levels
on Oct 14, 2016 at 12:37:43 pm

I need to expand on my very limited understanding of video levels to maintain consistent exports. I would like to know where to find this knowledge if I am unable to get the answers here.

I am requested to deliver broadcast mpeg files to Extreme Reach for :15 and :30 spots as well as have these spots available for digital delivery for the internet and computers - YouTube, Facebook, and distribution electronically as MP4/MOV files.

Is the decision to import "Full" or "Legal" dependent upon the sources? If yes, then how can i determine levels of the sources if I did not create them?

Should I keep everything "legal" and using scopes and broadcast client monitor, adjust all levels according to broadcast standards?

When exporting, do I "keep legal" for the broadcast files and then export different files scaling from legal to full for the internet files?

If I have kept the files legal inside Avid and know they are "broadcast correct" then can I trust that the "full range" exported files are good for internet? This is based on my experience that computer monitors AND QT player mostly are unreliable in displaying "true" levels AND are probably different for everyone?

Do wrappers and codecs determine results or do they "change" the levels? I work on MAC and Windows but to stay consistent I could remain only on one system or another if there is a "best" option as to the OS used.

Because of my limited understanding, are there other questions I should be asking?

Thank you for any helpful advice or answers!

Ricky

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid MC video levels
on Oct 14, 2016 at 10:13:51 pm

I would grade for TV...make sure it's good for TV, and then use that to master everything. Why do multiple grades for multiple platforms? it just makes more work for you.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Oct 17, 2016 at 5:57:19 pm

Thank you Shane and Job. The link will be helpful. I agree Shane but as I do this, the folks (my direct clients) at the Ad Agency, concentrate heavily on the levels of the digital deliveries (for computer/web) and they always say my blacks are washed out and sometimes they even say they are crushed. I seem to be fighting a losing battle and wondered if there is a workflow or some way others respond to this issue. I have tried to explain "broadcast" and a "standard" that exists and they don't seem to ever have a problem with that - (probably they rely on Extreme Reach to reject any video with Audio/Video/Caption errors, be it levels or tech specs.)

My work around seems cumbersome as I tried several workflows from exporting 2 sets of masters, to using the broadcast master and adjusting levels in Sorenson or AME ... then relying on players and OS's and computer monitors on their end to be consistent. My best results have come from 2 different exports and not modifying the encoder settings.

Thank you both for your helpful input!

Ricky

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Oct 15, 2016 at 3:41:44 pm

Does this help? http://www.jobterburg.nl/Publications/601_709_RGB.pdf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]