FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C100 footage shot at 23.98, transcoded as 23.98, but looks interlaced.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olaf Steel
Canon C100 footage shot at 23.98, transcoded as 23.98, but looks interlaced.
on Oct 13, 2016 at 6:33:24 pm

Hi,

I'm editing a documentary that has a lot of footage shot on a Canon C100 at 23.98 (see screenshot from VideoSpec for raw footage specs).
The footage has been transcoded and imported to Avid at 23.98, but when played back, there are clear ghosting or interlacing artifacts present. Does anyone know what's going on here?

I did use a slightly unconventional process to transcode and import the footage. Since the C100 labels clips incrementally starting at 00000, then 00001 and so on, and then starting over at 00000 on the next SD card, I used FCP Log & Transfer to transcode the clips to ProRes422 (again at 23.98), so that I could label the clips and not get confused by a timeline with 20 clips labeled just "00001".
The footage is now in Avid, and I can see from the format info in the Avid bin, the frame rate is still at 23.976, so nothing has been changed in the above process. And, since the raw footage shows the same interlacing artifacts, I assume the transcode/import workflow wouldn't have caused what I'm seeing in Avid. I just wanted to point it out in case there is a workflow recommended for C100s that fixes the issue.

After searching Google for possible solutions to what I'm seeing, I did find some people with similar questions, but no definitive answers. One person I saw had sent his camera back to Canon to get fixed, but the camera used in this instance was brand new out of the box, so it would seem less likely to be a problem with the camera itself.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Canon C100 footage shot at 23.98, transcoded as 23.98, but looks interlaced.
on Oct 13, 2016 at 6:47:26 pm

Not sure what caused the issue, but you do not need to use FCP Log and Transfer to do what you want. After you Link (AMA) in Avid, you are free to change the clip names in the bin before you transcode. The file names are embedded in the metadata (and can be made visible in the bin, if you wish), so you do not need to worry about re-linking.

Return to posts index

Olaf Steel
Re: Canon C100 footage shot at 23.98, transcoded as 23.98, but looks interlaced.
on Oct 13, 2016 at 8:23:59 pm

Thanks John, I know that I can rename the clips in Avid, I just thought doing it in batches of clips for each card shot in FCP would save me time going in and editing each individual clip. Maybe there is a batch name edit mode in Avid I don't know about.
Either way, this interlacing issue is very worrying. I have looked through several forums, but so far not come up with an answer. I really hope there is a fix for this that looks better than the frame blending fix usually used for interlacing.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 13, 2016 at 8:41:49 pm

Can you post a still here, or a short, 5 second clip that we can see what this looks like?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Olaf Steel
on Oct 13, 2016 at 8:57:35 pm

Here's a clip from the raw footage. If you look at pretty much any frame when they're walking towards the camera, you can see the interlacing-like or ghosting artifacts really well.
10683_00099.mts.zip

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 13, 2016 at 10:14:30 pm

I just gave it a quick look, but it seems to me it's a lot of motion blur that is occurring between their movements as well as the camera itself being handheld. What shutter angle are you recording at?

Michael

Return to posts index

Olaf Steel
on Oct 13, 2016 at 10:23:46 pm

Thanks for taking a look.
I believe the shutter was set at 1/60.

Yeah, you could be right, it could definitely be motion blur. It just looks like there is a double image at a lot of points.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 13, 2016 at 11:37:04 pm

No double image...just combo of handheld and shutter. Should be at 180, no? My camera knowledge is leaking out of my ears.. I believe if you do 60 you almost get that "saving private ryan" look.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]