FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrate from Premiere to Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Judith Ruich
Migrate from Premiere to Avid
on Oct 13, 2016 at 2:31:44 pm

Hello, I hope someone could help me.
I am involved in a project that will have an assistant editor during the shooting who will be working in Premiere selecting footage shot in Alexa. After the shooting I am going to do the edition. I work with Avid ... I presume that it will the best option if we both work with the same software but that's not possible so, is there any way to migrate a project from Premiere to Avid? I've done some research and I find some info that says that you can only migrate secuences but I don't understand exactly how to do that. Which is the best way to do that?
Thanks in advance,
Judith

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Migrate from Premiere to Avid
on Oct 13, 2016 at 3:43:18 pm

HI
I - like you am an AVID fan. But I don't really understand why one of you cant operate the other software.
I think you'd find that, as I did, an hour on Premier Pro will have you editing happily. Not like an expert of many years on AVID, but you'll be off and running.
OR your assistant, could with an hours tuition from you, be up and running on AVID, and as he'll not be using AVIDS finer points, its even easier for him - and after all, he the "assistant".
Everyone has their preferences, and as I said mine is Avid, but I had to learn FCP, and then Premiere Pro IN addition to AVID.
And Im a better editor for it!

NB Dont think theres a way of making the 2 work together.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Judith Ruich
on Oct 14, 2016 at 9:07:54 am

Hi Peter,

I totally agree with you that its important for all freelance editors to be able to work with any software. I started with Avid at university, then I worked with FCP and now I return to Avid. I've made a couple projects in Premiere Pro also (I'm not as good as I'm in Avid but I can manage it). My only weak point is FCPX ...

The point is that I don't own all the softwares in my edit station. Maybe I have to, but I don't have enough money to afford it nowadays. And the production company that hires me for this job, they don't have an edit station with premiere to work with (in fact they don't have any edit station) and the Assistant Editor is going to work with its own computer and he only have premiere. That's why I was asking if there was a a way to migrate a project from Premiere to Avid.

So the option I found is one month lisence of premiere pro cc and do the job in Premiere. An opportunity to drive it better ?

Judith

Return to posts index

James Sopp
on Oct 13, 2016 at 3:47:22 pm

Hi there,

Could you not do an xml/edl of the project from one and then import into the other. This should work shouldn't it ?

Granted I am fairly new to this, and so I could be wrong, but just an idea ?..

Hope that this helps.

J

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 13, 2016 at 4:35:07 pm

[Judith Ruich] "I am involved in a project that will have an assistant editor during the shooting who will be working in Premiere selecting footage shot in Alexa. After the shooting I am going to do the edition. I work with Avid"

Why, if you are going to be cutting in Avid, is the AE preparing and logging and organizing the footage in Premiere? That makes no sense. Sorry, but all this needs to be figured out before any work is done. You all need to settle on the software used to edit, because you cannot organize in Premiere and bring that organization to Avid. At all. Sequences, yes, projects, bins...no. Before shooting began the edit system used needed to be decided on and used. So either the AE needs to start over in Avid, or you need to cut with Premiere.

[Judith Ruich] "I presume that it will the best option if we both work with the same software but that's not possible so,"

Yes, it's VERY IMPORTANT that you use the same software...always. Why is this not possible?

[Judith Ruich] " is there any way to migrate a project from Premiere to Avid? "

Nope....none. Projects can be brought from FCP to Premiere or the other way via XML, that does contain the information to allow this. BUT...Avid doesn't do XML. And AAF only works with sequences. There is no way to migrate a full project...so you both need to figure out what edit system will be used and stick with that. If Avid, that means that the AE will have to start over from scratch...

[Judith Ruich] "I've done some research and I find some info that says that you can only migrate secuences but I don't understand exactly how to do that. Which is the best way to do that?"

Export an AAF or XML from Premiere Pro to Resolve, then render out of Resolve as MXF (the media needs to be converted for Avid to see it) and export an AAF to Avid. But again, this is only with sequences...that'll get media over, but not any of the logging information. Not sure what this will get you...

JAMES: "Could you not do an xml/edl of the project from one and then import into the other. This should work shouldn't it ?"

Sorry, that doesn't work. Avid doesn't do XML, and EDL is an EDIT DECISION LIST...only works with sequences.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Judith Ruich
on Oct 13, 2016 at 5:07:58 pm

Hello. Thanks to all of you for your responses.

[Shane Ross] Why, if you are going to be cutting in Avid, is the AE preparing and logging and organizing the footage in Premiere?

They call me this morning to offer me this job and obviously when they told me that the AE was going to work in Premiere I told them that I work with Avid and that I need the AE to work with Avid too, but the producer told me that this was impossible because they don't have Avid in their system.

[Shane Ross] Export an AAF or XML from Premiere Pro to Resolve, then render out of Resolve as MXF (the media needs to be converted for Avid to see it) and export an AAF to Avid. But again, this is only with sequences...that'll get media over, but not any of the logging information. Not sure what this will get you...

I presume that losing logging information is not a good option, so I think I will have to buy a one month license and do the edition in Premiere Pro cc.

Thank you very much

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 14, 2016 at 8:17:09 am

Im curious if any agreement was reached about your workflow going forward?
I think Shane's advice is spot on, and largely agrees with me.

I'll make one additional point.

Editors nowadays live in a very different world to when I 1st started in TV some 31 years ago.
Back then most editors were on staff, worked and were proficient on the plaftorm(s) from their company. And the number of ways of editing Pre computer and NLEs was far less. Things re very different now. With NLEs being near 100% the platform, but with a number of manufacturers competing, and with staff jobs being the few not the norm, editors are usually freelance.

Speaking as someone who hires freelance editors now, I feel that ANY editor working in the freelance space should be equally proficient in Premiere Pro, Avid, Final Cut Pro and FCX (note Ive removed the P from FCX as I don't see much pro in that software) I expect any editor to be experienced and capable in the craft of the job, NOT only on 1 programme / piece of software. Its like driving a car. Yes you can have a favourite. Other cars feel a bit strange at first, but as a driver, you can drive ANY car.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

James Sopp
on Oct 14, 2016 at 9:25:31 am

Hi,

What I meant was that could the assistant not export an edl of the selected sequences from Premiere, that could then be imported into avid.
I didn't know that Avid doesn't do XML, so thanks for that, but does that mean it can't import xmls that can be made in other programs ?

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the post but just asking this bit for my own knowledge now too ?

J

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 14, 2016 at 5:06:57 pm

[James Sopp] "What I meant was that could the assistant not export an edl of the selected sequences from Premiere, that could then be imported into avid. "

There are no sequences...they are importing and organizing the media. Putting into bins, adding names. None of that organization will be migrateable. You'd have to put all the clips into a sequence and then all you get is media...which you can get if you just bring the media directly into Avid. It's an unneeded step that won't solve the issue.

[James Sopp] "I didn't know that Avid doesn't do XML, so thanks for that, but does that mean it can't import xmls that can be made in other programs ?"

Correct. Avid does not export, nor import XML. It doesn't do XML at all...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 14, 2016 at 8:29:56 pm

Tell them to download the free 30 day trial for Avid.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]