FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 60fps to a smooth 24fps film motion without looking jerky or choppy

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kevin brown
Converting 60fps to a smooth 24fps film motion without looking jerky or choppy
on Oct 12, 2016 at 2:53:06 pm

I used my iPhone 6 plus to record some video and it was recorded at 60fps. I used Avid media composer to edit the footage in a 24fps project. My question is how do i export a get a smooth looking film quality play back? When the video is display it looks choppy and jerky.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting 60fps to a smooth 24fps film motion without looking jerky or choppy
on Oct 12, 2016 at 5:18:16 pm

Video shot at 60fps will have a VERY sharp image, thus why it's desired for sports. Every frame is like a still image, a picture, even with movement. 24fps has a lot of motion blur, because there are less frames per second, amongst other things. So when you shoot 24fps, it will look a lot different than 60fps converted to 24...there's no motion blur, thus it looks stuttery.

Not sure how to solve that...just wanted to explain why it's happening.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

kevin brown
Re: Converting 60fps to a smooth 24fps film motion without looking jerky or choppy
on Oct 13, 2016 at 4:05:39 am

Thanks for the response. Do you have any idea on what converter software to use If I were to convert these files? Right now I'm open to any suggestions.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 13, 2016 at 1:03:50 am

Another issue is the iPhone shoots variable frame rate. MC (and any other NLE) won't know how to deal with that and probably skip frames...so even if you were in a 60p timeline, you might have some issues,

You might be able to fake some motion blur in After Effects, if you have access to that.

Return to posts index

kevin brown
on Oct 13, 2016 at 9:35:16 am

Thanks for the replies, I'll try to use motion blur in AE.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 13, 2016 at 12:23:37 pm

Just making sure you are also setting playback in source settings to project rate? This has been available since 8.3, don't know what version you are on. Or are you doing it via a motion effect?

Michael

Return to posts index

kevin brown
on Oct 13, 2016 at 2:12:49 pm

I'm using version 8.1 and I wanted to just create a smooth film look in a 1080/24 project setting.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]