FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing live streaming from Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
richard schwadel
Editing live streaming from Avid
on Oct 6, 2016 at 8:29:00 pm

Hello,
I am looking for ways to reliably edit directly out of the Avid so that clients can be in other locations and watch changes as I make them in real time. They could communicate by speakerphone or Skype but the most important issue is a "live" output from the Avid client monitor, so they can see changes happening.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience doing this!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Editing live streaming from Avid
on Oct 6, 2016 at 10:56:40 pm

I haven't done it...but I hear people talk about SLINGBOX for stuff like this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

richard schwadel
on Oct 7, 2016 at 2:39:54 am

Thanks. I know Slingbox. I'm more interested in the newer tech-- Teradek, Clearview, Beebop, etc.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 7, 2016 at 9:49:23 pm

i've done it in the past.

I did 1 session using slingbox, but setting up the client to connect to my slingbox account(and download the app) just seemed cheap and a huge hassle, so i moved on to plan B.

For me, i found first of all you need a second box for the stream. Trying to stream and edit on the same box just caused issues. This was a few years ago, so things may have changed in all the tech out there.

Second, the speed of both yours and your clients internet connection is obviously quite important. Remember you are uploading, which typically, is slower than their download, so the stream settings you choose are partially based on your upload speed.

Here is my setup...(this is from a few years ago, and I know the telestream product names have changed)

I bought Ustream producer pro for the streaming. I ran this on a macbook pro, with an Matrox MXO2 that i already owned connected to it. I fed the MXO2 with the HDSDI output from my Avid, which again, was a different box.

Ustream has free streaming (with ads and some other restrictions, or paid streaming...which seems a bit expensive for the occasional user. I did find using chrome as the viewer box, with ad blocker turned on killed the ads ?

As opposed to slingbox, i sent the Ustream to my website, and created a live stream page that i could give the address to clients as needed. This created a small level of security, as it was a bit obscure to find. With the paid streaming service, you can create password protected streams. Depending on your project, this may or may not be important.

In the end i found we were on a 5 to 10 second delay, from when i hit play, to when they saw and heard the piece. I could usually hear the piece playing over the phone, so it wasn't hard to know what they were talking about when they said stop. I would also have a timecode window on the piece to help them identify the section they wanted to talk about. I got pretty good at making small talk to cover the time delay from when i hit play to show them the change, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

The first few changes are a bit odd, as they say....right there...but by the time you stop, and the delay kicks in, the picture is way off...you sit on the shot you know they are talking about, but they won't see it for 5-10 seconds...so they are saying "No, the other shot!" and you are saying "yup, i gotcha" but they still see the wrong shot..and say "no the other shot" Once they figure it out, it goes pretty smoothly

I've actually upgraded my internet since then, and have waaay faster upload speeds, so i'd like to give it another shot one of these days.

Glenn

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 8, 2016 at 1:00:26 pm

Good god. I think editing like that would make me want to blow my brains out. Kudos to you and anyone who has to live with that regularly.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 10, 2016 at 4:09:56 am

For the most part it is used as a review function. I wouldn't want to do a session with a client who wants to debate every edit. (don't know that I'd want to do that with them in the room:)

But for reviews, it does allow for instant changes and approvals.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]