FORUMS: list search recent posts

BEST WORKFLOW? Conforming 23,98 to 25 in Resolve, esport in dnx, edit in Avid and Relink to the original

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BEnedetta Marchiori
BEST WORKFLOW? Conforming 23,98 to 25 in Resolve, esport in dnx, edit in Avid and Relink to the original
on Oct 5, 2016 at 3:27:16 pm
Last Edited By BEnedetta Marchiori on Oct 5, 2016 at 5:26:13 pm

Hello to everyone,
This is my first post in this site, before now I only read your advice.
I write now because I have big problems with my new job and I have my mind in tilt.
For first, I'm sorry for my English.
Second, the situation is a little bit confuse...
I have to edit a documentary that has many issues, I have some video shooting with red at 23,98fps (5k resolution), some shooting with the new sony Alpha 7 in different format (25fps or 50fps and some of this file are .mov, prores, and other are in the folder private-m4root-clip like .mp4, h264, 4k, Avid can't open this file). I have other shooting with the canon 5d mark II with 25fps (1080resolution).
So, I started to conforme all the material at 25, I'm conforming the fps of RED files in DaVinci Resolve and export in dnxhd 36, then I transcoding in Avid the materiale from Sony with dnxhr to avoid the step for conforming the fps.
Now I try to relink a test sequence in DaVinci and in Avid, noone of those software are able to relink the sequence with the original files.
Do you have any suggestion?
I can't ask to a Lab because they don't have much money so now they don't have a lab, but now I don't know what can I do, so if someone of you have a DIT experience maybe can help me...
I hope my text it's not too complicated to understand it
thank you in advance

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: BEST WORKFLOW? Conforming 23,98 to 25 in Resolve, esport in dnx, edit in Avid and Relink to the original
on Oct 5, 2016 at 8:20:51 pm

try keeping your RED footage at 23.98. If you convert it to 25 (Low Res) and edit in Avid, you are telling Avid to create a list of this material at 25fps. Then that list goes to Resolve, and Resolve is looking at the original 23.98 footage, and saying...hey where is this clip with the frame count up to 25?...skip.

Try 36 dnx at 23.98. Bring that into your Avid 25 project, cut a test, output a list, and go back to resolve. See if Resolve can now see the originals. (Make sure you have your reel name settings correct in Resolve when you do the inital 36dnx transcode.

Your other option would be to create High res 25fps media in Resolve, and call it your new masters, but this is not the best way to work to preserve all your color information.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Serj Kasparoff
Re: BEST WORKFLOW? Conforming 23,98 to 25 in Resolve, esport in dnx, edit in Avid and Relink to the original
on Oct 6, 2016 at 1:13:39 am
Last Edited By Serj Kasparoff on Oct 6, 2016 at 2:26:16 am

(sorry for my poor english too)

If you satisfying with color grading DNxHD at 176 or 220, that it's safer to transcode all of them to 25p base.
If you wish to color grade original clips in Resolve, so it's needed to generate proxy in native fps.

As Glenn Sakatch said, just generate RED proxy in Resolve at native fps.
And do the same with other footage too - in Avid AMA-link and transcode them at their native fps, but each one in separate projects with different fps (23.98 video to 23.98 project, 50 video to 50 project)
Then open each bin from different projects in your main editing 25p project.

I don't know what version of Media Composer do you use, maybe updated versions have already managed the mix frame rate difficulties, but this old thread could be helpful: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/898136
See the last post by Michael Phillips in that thread - he posted a workflow for older versions of Media Composer:
http://24p.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/transcode-and-relink-ac...

Return to posts index

Bonsai Detta
on Oct 6, 2016 at 1:40:36 pm

Hello,

Thank you very much for your advice.
In the end I decided to proceed in a quite confusing way, to not waste more time to reconvert some RED (because I already did it once), and in order to be able to work in this phase with a cheap drive and to not mess up my Avid with many codecs.
I conformed the RED with Resolve and transcode the Sony in dnxhr at 50 fps in Avid, so at the end of my editing, I suppose the best way will be to export the conforming RED footage that I chose with the best quality and re insert in the timeline. Luckily for me the RED material is without sync sound, so I only have to put it in my timeline.
In this way I can start to edit now with low quality material and then to proceed with this annoying step.
Probably is not the best way to organize this project but at the moment I don't have much time to re start all the transcode.
I was hoping in a way to make Resolve recognize the name of the files without looking at the fps, maybe by showing it the project with the conforming, but it's ok, it's impossible..
Next time I think i will try a better way to deal with this kind of project (maybe convert all the footage in Prores...), but I actually hope that something like this is not gonna happen anymore!
Thank you,
Benedetta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]